[news.admin] Important TESTED patch for dxrn/mxrn

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/30/91)

In article <1991May30.182405.16917@mp.cs.niu.edu>,
 rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>   I believe that the intention to be strict was announced about 3 months
> before the changes were released.

Not in any place that someone not running B or C news would be likely
to see it.  Announcing a change of this magnitude should have at
least gone to all of the news.software.* groups and news.admin. As far
as I can tell, it was only announced in news.software.b, not a group
that is likely to be read by someone not runnng B or C news.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

tp@mccall.com (05/31/91)

In article <SC5+73G@engin.umich.edu>, stealth@engin.umich.edu (Mike Pelletier) writes:
> In article <1991May24.082757@mccall.com> tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) writes:
>>Sorry about the last one, this patch produces RFC822 compatible dates as
>>best I can tell, and hopefully this will statisfy C news.
>>
>   [...]
>>
>>BTW, it has been suggested to me in email that it would be easier to fix
>>C news.
>
> Do you care to write software that will shuffle through all the possible
> permutations of Date: lines and fix them up to something that might not even
> be correct?  Why not just fix the source of the problem, which is your soft-
> ware that is generating non-compliant Date: header lines.

The routine you describe existed in the previous version of C news. It read
the Date: lines produced by dxrn just fine. BTW, dxrn isn't my software,
I'm just a user. And I don't want it to fix all permutations of Date: line
and turn them into something possibly incorrect, but the de facto standard
for Date: lines on usenet has been (for at least the 6 years I've been on
net) the set of dates that B news will accept, until now, when the C news
community has taken it upon themselves to switch form the de facto standard
to the de jure standard with no warning to the rest of the world.

>> The authors and proponents of C news don't consider this a problem,
>>they did it on purpose, and as far as I can tell, most of them really don't
>>care, since their articles aren't being dropped. The bottom line is that
>>they refuse to do anything about this, and since many sites run C news,
>>the only practical option is to conform to their software. I would like to
>
> Get it straight -- you're not conforming to their software, you're conforming
> to internationally recognized standards for Date: line format.  Your software
> was bad all along, and C-news has finally started enforcing the standard.

Get it straight, dxrn conforms to the internationally recognized standard,
but not to the internationally published standard. Cnews switched
standards. Therefore, I'm changing dxrn to conform to C news. B news likes
the old version just fine. I don't have a problem with switching to the
official standard, but it would've been nice to find out about it other
than by having my news articles dropped on the floor. Like maybe, before
the change was made, so I (or the author) could've fixed dxrn in advance.
(I don't buy the idea that nobody would have fixed the software if advance
warning were given, I know I would have fixed dxrn even if the author
didn't.)

You haven't been paying attention to this debate, have you? Nothing I've
said here is new. Nice to see you've got the official party line memorized
though. Was that in the intro to the patch or something?

> That's all there is to it.

Yep, pretty typical of the C news community. You don't give a damn what
problems you cause others, as long as your software works. Must be another
part of the official party line. Could someone send me a copy? It would
save you all repeating it over and over. I especially like the way you get
from accepting B news formats to accepting random bizarre junk and having
to repair it, and since this is  impossible, you can't accept the B news
formats anymore, even though it wasn't so tough in the previous release.
This reasoning has to be published somewhere, I can't imagine so many
people inventing it independently.

It'd sure be gratifying for someone to admit that this changeover was badly
handled. At least then we'd have some indication that a little more effort
will be put forth next time to avoid such a mess. (I'm sure there will be a
next time, since it is C news' mission to save the world from
non-conformant software.)
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                   The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!deimos!mccall!tp) 615 McCall Road

In article <1991May30.120936.1009@mccall.com> tp@mccall.com writes:
>The routine you describe existed in the previous version of C news. It read
>the Date: lines produced by dxrn just fine. BTW, dxrn isn't my software,

  At least get your facts straight.  The previous versions of C news did not
look at the date.  The result was that at various times our disks filled up
with news several months old.  Because we complained enough the Henry and
Geoff listened, and are now protecting us from these disasters.

>I'm just a user. And I don't want it to fix all permutations of Date: line

  If you are just a user, then the important thing is to get your own Date
line correct.  If you are a sysadmin, just ensure that news generated on
your system leaves with a correct date.  Since the date should be machine
generated that can't be difficult.  You don't have to correct the dates
generated by the rest of the world - that is their problem.

>the old version just fine. I don't have a problem with switching to the
>official standard, but it would've been nice to find out about it other
>than by having my news articles dropped on the floor. Like maybe, before
>the change was made, so I (or the author) could've fixed dxrn in advance.

  I believe that the intention to be strict was announced about 3 months
before the changes were released.

>(I don't buy the idea that nobody would have fixed the software if advance
>warning were given, I know I would have fixed dxrn even if the author
>didn't.)

  Then why didn't you?

>Yep, pretty typical of the C news community. You don't give a damn what
>problems you cause others, as long as your software works. Must be another

  The number of articles I am not seeing now is probably much less than the
number dropped when disks here or on my feed filled up with stale news.

>It'd sure be gratifying for someone to admit that this changeover was badly
>handled. At least then we'd have some indication that a little more effort

  OK.  I will admit it.  It was handled very badly, especially by people
like <tp@mccall.com>.

>will be put forth next time to avoid such a mess. (I'm sure there will be a
>next time, since it is C news' mission to save the world from
>non-conformant software.)

  Actually I think C news is more interested in avoiding being the cause of
the problems created by flooding the networks with stale news.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

kirk@hplabs.hpl.hp.com (Laura Kirk) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.143123.31164@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <1991May30.182405.16917@mp.cs.niu.edu>,
> rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
>>   I believe that the intention to be strict was announced about 3 months
>> before the changes were released.
>
>Not in any place that someone not running B or C news would be likely
>to see it.  Announcing a change of this magnitude should have at
>least gone to all of the news.software.* groups and news.admin.

I'm reasonably sure it WAS announced in news.admin:  I saw it, and I don't
read news.software.b (I'm a negligent news admin, I guess :-)

There was a little fuss at the time, but not much.  I guess the full impact
didn't hit people until it happened.

				laura kirk
				kirk@hplabs.hpl.hp.com