[news.admin] B-news vs. C-news

michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) (06/04/91)

>Later, when I began to suspect that things were amiss, I asked politely in
>news.software.b how C News treated bad date headers. Nobody even bothered to
>reply. Then, as I say, I got some mail saying that all my articles had been
>dropped for the past few months.

I have been following the big B-news/C-news discussion with only a
half-heart for some time now. I am still using B-news because I don't
have enough time to go about changing the news software just because
something new is out. (I don't fix things which are working.) Now someone
raises the ugly spector that possibly all of the articles from my company
are falling on the floor as soon as they reach uunet, which now runs C-news.
Is it time to switch? Can anyone hear me? Is someone going to fix C-news?

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox@csms.com

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (06/05/91)

In article <1087@wshb.csms.com> michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:
>                                                              Now someone
>raises the ugly spector that possibly all of the articles from my company
>are falling on the floor as soon as they reach uunet, which now runs C-news.
>Is it time to switch? Can anyone hear me? Is someone going to fix C-news?

Well, Henry and Geoff may have their own preferences on this, but it is
manifestly not in UUNET's interest to start dropping articles en mass
because of an extra comma in an eminently readable date header.  I would
hope that THEY, at least, would implement the necessary patches.  And,
perhaps, exert some influence on the Cnews priesthood.

This is what happens when "be generous in what you accept, and
conservative in what you generate" is disobeyed.