[news.admin] Auto-repliers

david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.141538.21196@oar.net> karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
>So test your ability to reach the known universe:
>
>	[52] [10:04am] ashley:/usr/lib/news> fgrep .test newsgroups
[...]
>	misc.test               For testing of network software.  Very boring.
[...]
>	vmsnet.test             Test messages.
[...]
>Pick one or more; I recommend misc.test with a world distribution.
>Auto-responders for *.test the world over will babble happily at you
>about your postings, if and when they get them.  Lack of response is a
>wonderful indicator of failing software.  If necessary, you can then
>argue with your feed's newsadmin over the issue.

Great idea.  Those of us that are well connected get inflicted with the
rash of bounce messages from sites that auto-reply to Path: headers
and create incorrect To: lines.  True, a lack of response is an indicator
of failing software, but that does not guarentee that the failing
software is the one you are trying to test.

Death to auto-repliers!

	-David

--
David Robinson	david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov 	{decwrl,usc,ames}!elroy!david
Disclaimer: No one listens to me anyway!

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.182844.16363@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
(David Robinson) says:

>Great idea.  Those of us that are well connected get inflicted with the
>rash of bounce messages from sites that auto-reply to Path: headers
>and create incorrect To: lines.  True, a lack of response is an indicator
>of failing software, but that does not guarentee that the failing
>software is the one you are trying to test.

The 'Path:' statement can't be trusted for a path back to the source
for e-mail.  Sometimes it's just plain wrong, sometimes it's trying
to go back through one-way links, and sometimes it's really round-
about.

We have an auto-replier program.  It uses the Reply-To: header if
it's there, otherwise the From: header.  Path: is ignored.

Our mailer bounces responses without a domain name or non-bitnet unqual-
ified domain name.  Our SMTP-server bounces mail with bad FQDNs.  As a
general rule, the only ones that bounce after leaving our site are
user@node.uucp, user@node.bitnet, and mx'd sites, and that's usually
because of a nonexistent userid.

Doug
--