[news.admin] Fidonet Gateway goes beserk!

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (06/16/91)

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:

>zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>>The From: line is mangled in a very interesting way.  A message I
>>posted listed me as From: Dan.Zerkle@f98.n250.z1.Fidonet.Org.  Funny.
>>I never noticed that I had a Fidonet account.

>Pretty standard mangling for whatever it is that fidonet uses to gateway
>news to their universe.  (ufgate?)  This happens periodically, alas.  Would
>someone familiar with fidonet software please explain what the technical
>defect that causes these gateways malfunction so often?  Can they not leave

the reason is that the gateway software is available for DOS machines,
of which almost everyone has.

prior to such software being available for PC's we never had this
problem

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis