[news.admin] Commercial postings

randall@Virginia.EDU (Randall Atkinson) (06/17/91)

carl@sol1.gps.caltech.edu (Carl J Lydick) writes:
> For some time, USF@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU has been posting commercial notices
> to the SCI.SPACE newsgroup. I understand that he's doing against
> the wishes of the management of VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU.

  If Cornell is sending or knowingly allowing the sending of
commercial postings out via any link governed by the Internet
"Commercial Use" prohibition, then they are liable for the actions of
their user and for the violation of the prohibition of the use of the
Internet for commercial purposes.

  Commercial use of regular USENET (ALTnet is not USENET) is A Bad
Thing, but other than if the traffic is sent over Internet links, it
probably isn't illicit or illegal and certainly the only pressure that
USENET can apply is peer pressure.

This is an administrative issue and hence this has been crossposted
to news.admin and followups belong there as well.

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun16.235933.16183@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> randall@Virginia.EDU (Randall Atkinson) writes:

   > commercial notices to the SCI.SPACE newsgroup

     If Cornell is sending or knowingly allowing the sending of
   commercial postings out via any link governed by the Internet
   "Commercial Use" prohibition, then they are liable for the actions of
   their user and for the violation of the prohibition of the use of the
   Internet for commercial purposes.

There is no blanket "prohibition of the use of the Internet for
commercial purposes," no such thing at all.  Various forms of
commercial activity have various sanctions and restrictions put
against them on various networks which make up the Internet, anything
from "any commercial use is OK" to "absolutely forbidden to even
mention money (or sex, drugs, politics etc.)".  There is a wide
diversity of policiy and opinion on how things should be and even how
the current regulations are to be interpreted.

There is a near-universal opinion, sometimes expressed as "policy" but
more often expressed in angry messages to system operators and to
users who cross the unwritten rules, that unsolicited commercials are
a Bad Thing for the health of the network, and that users should not
be subjected to them.  What exactly makes up an unsolicited commercial
is not clear; certainly the Dave Rhodes chain letter crosses that
line, and various other postings inappropriately sprayed across other
newsgroups and sent to other mailing lists have caused the same sort
of reaction.  The things which arouse people's ire are typically
poorly written, repetetive, low on content, of marginal interest to
the group in question, wildly mis-posted or cross-posted, and
unnecessarily long-winded.

(A collection of the articles that get people mad would be an
interesting study.  Anyone have a bunch of classic "you shouldn't do
this on the net" articles?")

Is the mere fact that someone is sending out "commercial notices" to
sci.space a problem?  No.  It is not possible to determine just from
that little factoid whether there's any reason to be concerned.  If I
were to (for example) be a person who made a number of valuable
contributions to the discussion of sci.space, and was enough of an
expert and well-regarded to have written a book on the subject, no one
would object to a small and tasteful amount of self-promotion
(including perhaps prices, ordering information, and maybe even a way
for netters to order the book by e-mail).  On the other hand, a
shameless and repetetive (and content-free) plea for money isn't going
to go over too well.

--
Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv@msen.com

On the Net, the Net-way is best.
	It's just that we are trying to figure out what the Net-way is.
						e. miya