[news.admin] broken gateway

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (06/17/91)

In article <RaHJ47w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk writes:
>lyda@acsu.buffalo.edu (kevin lyda) writes:
>> In article <rrezaian.1811@austral.chi.il.us> rrezaian@austral.chi.il.us (Russ
>> [ Stuff about a dodgy FIDO gateway ]
>> more importantly, how
>> do you implement an efficent algorithm to figure it out?
>
>The currently-proposed system of issuing error messages with a message-ID
>modified in some systematic way would handle it perfectly adequately, as has
>already been explained.

Nonsense.  The question was how to recognize bad articles, not how
to handle them when they're found.

The mangled articles from FIDO have perfectly valid headers.

An automatic solution would require maintenance of a history system
with some memory of the contents of articles, not just of the message
ID and date.  Or would simply exclude all traffic from FIDOnet.
--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/18/91)

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:
> Nonsense.  The question was how to recognize bad articles, not how
> to handle them when they're found.
>
> The mangled articles from FIDO have perfectly valid headers.
>
> An automatic solution would require maintenance of a history system
> with some memory of the contents of articles, not just of the message
> ID and date.  Or would simply exclude all traffic from FIDOnet.

Barring the use of some sort of public-key cryptosystem, I think you'll have
trouble coming up with any sort of method which will prevent some random
gateway from re-writing articles into perfectly valid but
differently-addressed articles.

mathew