[news.admin] Administrivia: please realias ...

randall@VIRGINIA.EDU (Randall Atkinson) (06/18/91)

Yes, a few more control commands would be A Good Thing.

In particular, I nominate the new control command "mvgroup A B" where A is
the old newsgroup name and B is the new newsgroup name.

Note that it will be most effective if automatic mvgroups are enabled
whenever automatic newgroups are enabled.

  If any of the implementors of news transport software want to implement
this or any equivalent proposal, I'd be greatly obliged.

  A lot of news admins out there aren't even aware that it is possible
to rename a newsgroup and not lose any old traffic that might be
incoming.  I know its in the documentation, but most folks don't seem
to bother reading that.

In article <9106181442.AA04570@phil.cs.Virginia.EDU> randall@VIRGINIA.EDU (Randall Atkinson) writes:
>Yes, a few more control commands would be A Good Thing.
>
>In particular, I nominate the new control command "mvgroup A B" where A is
>the old newsgroup name and B is the new newsgroup name.

 And how about "bitbucket A"?  This would be used several months after the
"mvgroup" when it is discovered that some folks are still posting to the
old name.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940