[news.admin] automatically mailing warnings about dropped news to originators

[It is incredible to me that the supposedly
professional system administrators of the net are
incapable of maintaining a meaningful subject line
in long discussions. With such an example ("Really
funny jokes being missed" for a news.admin
discussion about email warnings on detecting header
problems on articles from non-local sites), what
hope for the casual news users to learn good
habits?]

The net discussion about dropping articles without
warning to the originator provoked a local email
flurry on the subject, from which one potentially
useful idea emerged.

The demurrer has been put forth that automatically
mailing warnings back to the originator when news
articles are dropped would cause a "flood" of email,
more damaging to the site of origin than having
articles originating there silently dropped.

I think this is just an excuse for not thinking the
problem through to a workable solution. I propose
the following solution for folks to shoot full of
holes or refine to usability, as the mood strikes.

There are, I am told, about 1000 Cnews sites right
now, a minority of the 10,000 odd sites in the mail
maps, but probably a majority of the larger sites
important to net connectivity, so the following
proposal would take some parameter tuning.

Instead of mailing a warning back each time an
article is dropped, each site should roll a random
number generator, with a small chance of mailing a
warning, and a large chance of dropping the article
silently.

Each type of news software should consider itself
the whole net for purposes of determining what the
right fraction of warnings should be, since the
choice of articles dropped _may_ be independent for
each type. For 1000 Cnews sites, a 1/500 or 1/1000
chance of sending a warning would mean (if the
article actually propagated to all but the Cnews
sites through successfully sneaking past the filters
of the other news software (Bnews, VMSNEWS(?),
Waffle, etc., and then got passed to each Cnews site
and there dropped) that two or one warnings on
average would be mailed back _from the whole net_
per article with mangled header detected by the
particular filter in Cnews. If it were also detected
by five other kinds of news software, each also
mailing one or two warnings, at worst a dozen or so
letters would arrive, not an overwhelming burden

In the more usual case where Cnews dropping the
articles from a site mostly destroys connectivity,
and the rest of the net never sees the article, the
feedback would be slower, but eventually would
happen, still providing some level of warning. This
is the case for which tuning of the warning fraction
should be considered; better to provide too much
(but not an overwhelming level of) warning, than too
little, to see problems discovered and fixed sooner.
See also two paragraphs below.

In the nasty case where a site mangles headers in
carload lots, and dumps a multi-megabyte slug of old
news on the net, a lot of extra mail would go back
to article authors (or preferably, "usenet" or
"postmaster" or "root" at the same site), but not
the thousandfold multiplier that an unrandomized
warning generator would provoke. Better yet, by the
sampling that would occur across the net, lots of
site sysadmins would quickly have in hand sufficient
widely distributed looks at paths to the problem to
narrow down to a single site creating the mangled
headers and get the problem cut off early, as
opposed to the current two or three day lag while
enough postings reach news.admin to do the trick,
and the modem at the offending site keeps dumping
old news in massive amounts onto the rest of the net.

The case of a leaf site feeding directly into a site
potentially dropping articles should probably have a
_much_ higher (or unity) chance of a warning being
mailed back, but it would be little extra software
effort to make the randomizing fraction separate and
tunable for each feed a site maintains, so that
generic incoming netwide newsfeeds get low
probability of warning per article (lots of other
sites get a chance to mail a warning, too) while
client sites with no other chance of warning get a
high probability of warning, since only the feed
site will ever see the offending article.

This proposal cuts down the email to a fraction of
"warn about each infraction at each site where
detected" rates, while providing a fair level of
feedback to each site generating bad headers.

Complaints, problems, improvements?

Kent, the man from xanth.

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) (06/16/91)

In <1991Jun10.225052.19739@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>In article <34587746@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>>... An unparsable date (which
>>might something as innocuous as a new time zone) does not intrinsically
>>cripple the article, as a bad Message-ID does for instance....

>Unfortunately, it does, because it might be a garbled version of a stale
>date.  A parsable date is a non-negotiable requirement.  (Incidentally,
>a new timezone abbreviation does not make the date unparsable, if I'm
>remembering the code correctly.)
>--
>"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
>SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

Since dates are important, then have C-News recogonize the date formats
that really exist on the net, not according to what a piece of paper says
they should look like.

Work with the writers of other news systems to get them to write new code
to match that piece of paper.  Then, when 99.9% of the news postings
match the peice of paper, then CONSIDER dropping the "obsolete" support.
Although it would not really be obsolete until there are 0 posts with the
old format.

One of the recent releases of the nn news reader claims to have changed its
code that splits digests into separate articles to handle both the "standard"
format, and a particular news group's "non-standard" digest format.  The
writer of nn did not say "Group x's digests are incorrect so we will
ignore it", the writer essentially said "we will support what is actually
out there".

I am a user of news, I am not a system administrator or a news administrator,
so I have zero choice in what operating system we use or what news transport,
and am highly offended at an earlier posting that was along the lines of
use Unix and C-News if you want to use news.  There are other operating
systems out there, and there are other news transports out there.  If we
are truly going to have an international network for sharing information,
then all the people writing the software that makes this happen have to
decide to work together and work with what is out there.  Add new features,
but don't break existing features with a we are right and the rest of
the world is wrong attitude.

				Harry Herman
				herman@corpane

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (06/18/91)

herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:
>Then, when 99.9% of the news postings...

Last we checked, the C News date parser almost achieved this number.
Specifically, from the tests Geoff and I ran in March, courtesy Dave
Lawrence @rpi and Dave Alden @zaphod:

 > Of the 102385 date headers in articles on rpi.edu, our RFC822/1123
 > date parser parses all but 142 correctly.  (0.14%) [Our general date
 > parser gets all but 5]
 >
 > Of the 158673 date headers on zaphod, the RFC date parser didn't like
 > 194. (0.12%) Again, the general parser dislikes 5. (one different from
 > rpi)

These numbers are obviously skewed by the fact that B News sites
rewrite headers, so there was clearly a race on to see whether the
articles got to zaphod or rpi without touching a B News site.  I can
understand how the 0.15% of the "victims" feel; we did try to warn
people but there were limits in how much effort we were willing to put
into it.  You know what they say about the last 1% :-)

	Mark.

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.154834.114@corpane.uucp> herman@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) writes:
>Since dates are important, then have C-News recogonize the date formats
>that really exist on the net, not according to what a piece of paper says
>they should look like.

I disagree but that's irrelevant.  I saw something that over 50% of
college students cheat in some way.  Does that make it acceptable
just because it's common practice?

>Work with the writers of other news systems to get them to write new code
>to match that piece of paper.  Then, when 99.9% of the news postings
>match the peice of paper, then CONSIDER dropping the "obsolete" support.
>Although it would not really be obsolete until there are 0 posts with the
>old format.

Guess what Harry?  It's already happened!  Yes it really has.  The vast
extreme overwhelming majority of sites are Bnews and Cnews and guess
what?  They generate proper dates.  In general, on these systems, the
date is generated by inews.

>One of the recent releases of the nn news reader claims to have changed its
>code that splits digests into separate articles to handle both the "standard"
>format, and a particular news group's "non-standard" digest format.  The
>writer of nn did not say "Group x's digests are incorrect so we will
>ignore it", the writer essentially said "we will support what is actually
>out there".

That's a reader; not transport software.  Readers are meant to please
people.  Transport software is not for people.  Its purpose is to
transport the software as efficiently and reliably as possible.  Bad
headers, and kludges to deal with them jeapordize both.  Readers are
supposed to make sure that things get from the transport software to
the users and vice-versa.  If your reader does that job poorly that's
not my problem.

>I am a user of news, I am not a system administrator or a news administrator,
>so I have zero choice in what operating system we use or what news transport,
>and am highly offended at an earlier posting that was along the lines of
>use Unix and C-News if you want to use news.  There are other operating
>systems out there, and there are other news transports out there.  If we
>are truly going to have an international network for sharing information,
>then all the people writing the software that makes this happen have to
>decide to work together and work with what is out there.  Add new features,
>but don't break existing features with a we are right and the rest of
>the world is wrong attitude.

People not running news on something UNIXish make up an incredibly
small minority of the news sites.  The RFC's have been around quite a
while now.  There's been lots of time for the admins to fix it.  It is
possible for a normal user to bitch at the admin to fix things.  Most
admins will let a lot of things slide until someone complains.

The vast majority of the net should not be punished because people
running news on a few Atari ST's are having their articles dropped.
The people whose articles are getting dropped are at a very small
minority of sites (probably less than 1000).

--Bill Davidson

tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

[about broadcasting notice of dropped articles:]

>> Too much overhead; you are targeting a message at
>> _all_ Usenet sites to inform _one_ site. I really
>> can't see the attraction of that at all.

> Do you have the same problem with Cancel control
> messages, which exhibit the same behavior?

Huh?  A cancel goes to all sites because it _must_
go to all sites to be effective.  Notice of a dropped
article needs to get to only one site, the site of
origin, to be effective.  Not at all comparable
situations.

> The error reports are much more useful to the net
> as a whole than cancels, and after the initial
> rash of these when the facility is first
> introduced, there should be fewer of them than
> cancels flowing around the net. (And as for the
> initial rash of errors, there are proposals out
> there that reduce this problem to a reasonable
> amount as well.)

Not at all true if a month of news gets barfed back
onto the net by a mechanism that looks like a bad
header problem and evokes this mechanism you defend;
at that point, if the Bnews site connectivity from
the failing site is enough to get the barf out to
the "whole net", the deluge of messages this
mechanism you defend would dump on the net would
disable the whole net for a significant period of
time, like weeks, while sysadmins cleared up the
junk while trying to preserve the news and mail. The
cost in phone charges alone would be horrendous.
I've yet to see a modification to the broadcast
notification proposal that addresses this _fatal_
flaw. News barfs with mangled headers happen several
times a year; a mechanism that could take the whole
net down several times a year makes the internet
worm look like a love pat; it only nailed 6000
machines, and that by accident; the broadcast
proposal risks the whole ball of wax, and
deliberately.

>>> Regular messages in a specific group seem much
>>> more reliable.

>> Worse and worse; we are right back to the problem
>> of the original posting warning that a change was
>> coming; if you put information where it won't be
>> seen, you might as well not go to the trouble.

>> There are _two_ problems to be solved here:

>> 1) A technical problem: how to get the
>> information back to the author or the site admin
>> at the site where failing messages are being
>> created, without

> Solved by the error report proposal, if you
> consider the WHOLE proposal.

Nope, I've considered the whole proposal; a proposal
that breaks the net doesn't solve problems.

>> breaking anything further (Cnews has already gone
>> through a phase of reliably recycling old news,
>> and now one of reliably discarding without notice
>> articles with what used to be working article
>> headers; no sense trying for three disasters in a
>> row),

> Are you trying to tell us that news is too
> unreliable a transport to carry notices of its own
> problems?

First, it isn't much of a software engineering win
to depend on a failing mechanism to carry notice of
its own failure.

Second, designing a mechanism that breaks it worse in
the process of "fixing" things is no win at all.

> Do you have a serial line from each of your
> ethernet controllers tying back into your cpu for
> error reports? :-)

Ah to have a job, where such frills as multiple
communicating computers would be accessible.

>> such as drowning the net in excess messages or

> I think you over-estimate. Most of the net runs
> good software, or I doubt even the C news crowd
> would have seen the changes that sparked all this
> as a doable thing.

Most of the net runs _abyssmal_ software [a lot of
it hides under the name of "email", which has a
blind 30% first reply failure rate for naive users];
news failures are relatively public, so squeeking
wheels get attention. Still, the UUCP transport
suite has a crash and burn failure mode in uucico,
news spools overflow regularly all over the net,
sites can't agree on the legality of posting to
groups not carried at the site, header lines needed
for some news reading software aren't maintained by
other news posting software, subject lines get
truncated, the list goes on. I sure wouldn't brag on
the workability of news anywhere I had a reputation
to maintain.  Ignoring problems this bad in software
doesn't say much for ones professionalism.

>> the site of origin in excess email. Only the
>> second possibility has yet been effectively
>> addressed so far; all the methods of using news
>> to do the job send far too many copies to sites
>> that don't care at all about the information,
>> wasting time, money, and patience.

> Each site will store one copy of each report. He
> might get one from each feed, but he probably
> won't, any more than he gets any other article
> from every feed he has. If he does have 2 fully
> redundant feeds, he probably wants it that way.

Don't know about where you are, but here the dropped
news and other problems require redundant feeds and
still we miss parts of source group multi-part
postings and such. Using a threaded newsreader like
trn gives you a new appreciation of just how much
news _never_ gets to your site; I'd guess the raw
failure rate is between 5% and 15% of all news goes
missing with a single feed, 2%-5% with two fairly
independent feeds.

>> 2) A human factors problem: how to put the
>> information returned in a place where it is hard
>> to ignore, not lost in a mass of similar, but
>> inapplicable, warnings that condition the
>> intended recipient out of looking for the
>> warnings at all.

> Remember a key facet of the proposal is that there
> will be a small number of sites that pick up all
> the error reports and mail them to the site with
> the problem.

Hardly a "key facet"; it was included as an optional
gawdawful nuisance that would be included if the
yelling were sufficiently loud, but preferably not.
Also, it won't work. The further you get from the
path from failing article posting site to failing
article detecting site, the less chance you have of
getting email through. In reality, the sites you are
trying to reach are mostly leaf sites at the end of
long cul-de-sacs, running little known or long
superseded software, exactly the sites least likely
to have good mail map entries and the longer you
make the mail path, the less likely it is to
function.

> Thus, you won't have to read the group to find out
> you have a problem, someone will send you mail
> telling you.

Which you are unlikely to receive, the mailing site
now being many more hops away.

> Of course, newer news software could have a
> feature whereby it scans the error reports looking
> for errors referring to the current site, so that
> notification would be swifter,

Sure, but the sites running up to date software are
not the ones we need to reach, so don't even include
them in your planning.

> and would occur even if mail couldn't get through,
> but it will still work quite well for a site not
> running such software, because he'll get
> notification by mail.

Probably not.

>> It's the old "crying wolf" problem. I have yet to
>> see a proposal here that beats sending a small
>> number of _pertinent_ notices to the email box of
>> the author/site admin, a location that a) is
>> regularly perused by the recipient, and b) waits
>> "forever" to be read (no expire == loss of
>> information).

> Unfortunately, it is all too likely that the small
> number in question is precisely zero. The various
> configurations of net connectivity are such that
> I've yet to see a proposal for a probabilistic
> method that hasn't been shot down by a counter
> example of a configuration that would get too many
> or too few messages.

Sigh. Between the idiots who want this whole
discussion to be decided on a popularity contest
between Mathew and Henry rather than the rather
profound technical and software engineering and
programming ethics issues, and the people who, as
Mathew says, keep moving the goalposts, it's
profoundly difficult to make progress here.

Given that no one has bothered to make a definitive
statement of what constitutes "too many" or "too
few" messages, of course the non-contributors have
no trouble setting up their own strawmen, and then
promptly knocking them down. If I can state that at
least one article in sixteen posted with a bad
header gets a response, and at most sixteen
suspect a sufficient two parameter probabilistic
email notification system can be designed, though
I'm not going to be the one to do it.

>> Nothing posted to a busy newsgroup satisfies this
>> need at all. Most "inform by news" proposals
>> would require changes at the site of origin to
>> pull out only the pertinent notices and present
>> them to the responsible party, and one of the
>> givens in this situation is that changes at the
>> site of origin won't be made until _after_ notice
>> of a problem is seen, making "inform by news"
>> methods worthless.

> Read the whole proposal. The mail out notification
> was in Neil Rickert's original posting about this
> method of reporting errors.

Yes it was, with the attitude described above, and,
as noted above, it simply will fail in too large a
proportion of cases.

The design goals for a notification method should
_not_ require that each site get the _same_ level of
notification or have the _same_ limits on notices
received, just that each site have _some_ useful
level of notification, and that each site have
_some_ guarantee of a reasonable limit on the number
of notices received.

It should also be a design goal that only Cnews
sites require software changes or behavioral changes
to make the notification methods work. Lots of sites
have "absentee sysadmins" that essentially _never_
read news, and will only know about any of this if a
message shows up in their email.

More important, it is probably really worthwhile
putting up and agreeing upon the design goals for
notification, before haranguing about whether one or
another proposed design meets the goals; a moving
goalposts problem again.

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <1991Jun18.113758.16382@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

| Not at all true if a month of news gets barfed back
| onto the net by a mechanism that looks like a bad
| header problem and evokes this mechanism you defend;
| at that point, if the Bnews site connectivity from
| the failing site is enough to get the barf out to
| the "whole net", the deluge of messages this
| mechanism you defend would dump on the net would
| disable the whole net for a significant period of
| time, like weeks, while sysadmins cleared up the
| junk while trying to preserve the news and mail.

  I don't think you thought that one through. Start with two statements
which I believe are widely if not without exception true.
 1. we would generate a reject notice for badly formed articles
 2. we would not forward rejected articles

Thus you are unlikely to have anything broken reach "the whole net."

I would also question a failure mechanism which would mung old articles
in such a way that they would satisfy these criteria to cause problems:
 1. munged enough to be rejected elsewhere
 2. intact enough to be accepted by news locally
 3. intact enough to be sent out.

Remember that sendbatch runs from the database at most sites, and just
restoring the articles won't send anything. Also, batches are
compressed, and I can't believe damage as limited as is needed to
satisfy the requirements above could happen in a compressed file.

Finally, bad messages generating warnings would generate a reply from
at most every site at which they were received, hardly likely to bring
down the net with a few lines per site worst case. Some weeks I get my
sys file requested 6-7 times in a week, and that doesn't even make a
bobble in the volume curve. I bet some of the postings have generated
flames from more readers than one per site, and the net survived. The
fact that rejectors don't propigate saves the volume.

In short I believe your scenario of gigabytes of rejects is an
overexageration of any worst case failure I can imagine.

| Don't know about where you are, but here the dropped
| news and other problems require redundant feeds and
| still we miss parts of source group multi-part
| postings and such. Using a threaded newsreader like
| trn gives you a new appreciation of just how much
| news _never_ gets to your site; I'd guess the raw
| failure rate is between 5% and 15% of all news goes
| missing with a single feed, 2%-5% with two fairly
| independent feeds.

  Depends on the quality of the feed. Some news is dropped at the site,
and unless you have a feed right from them you don't get it. The volume
dropped in a feed from a site like uunet is probably a lot less than the
2% you quote. I can't measure easily, because a lot of news here come
*first* from another site. I can tell there's a lot of news I didn't get
from uunet, but I can't tell if I would have gotten it if I didn't
already have the article.

| More important, it is probably really worthwhile
| putting up and agreeing upon the design goals for
| notification, before haranguing about whether one or
| another proposed design meets the goals; a moving
| goalposts problem again.

  It is always worth setting the goals before evaluating the solutions.
I sense a lack of agreement that letting the poster know about
rejections is not a goal in C news. I can't help think that dropping the
news, not saying that it was dropped, and not saying why, is a case of
putting the computer before the user.
  GE Corp R&D Center, Information Systems Operation, tech support group
  Moderator comp.binaries.ibm.pc and 386-users digest.