[news.admin] sendsys from de

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/19/91)

In article <1451@faatcrl.UUCP> warb@faatcrl (Dan Warburton) writes:
>This site got about 5 send sys messages from someware in de. The mail bounced. Did anyone
>else get these. Also what is the ediquette(sp) on this. We connot have world wide sendsys
>requests happening too often?

Haven't seen any here, yet.

I altered our control script to email a note that we don't give out
our sys file. Alternatively, I see no reason a sendsys request could
not be dropped. Granted, some people use them for propogation research,
but they could be disclosing information a cracker could use.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

elle@ellis.uchicago.edu (Ellen Keyne Seebacher) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.183618.1339@sci34hub.sci.com>
 gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>I altered our control script to email a note that we don't give out
>our sys file. Alternatively, I see no reason a sendsys request could
>not be dropped. Granted, some people use them for propogation research,
>but they could be disclosing information a cracker could use.

Not that I'm suggesting Internet RFC's have the force of law, but...
RFC 1036, Standard for USENET Messages (12/87) says, about sendsys:

    ...This information is considered public information, and it is a
    requirement of membership in USENET that this information be
    provided on request, either automatically in response to this
    control message, or manually, by mailing the requested information
    to the author of the message.

>Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary

Hey, I didn't say it.  :-)

--
Ellen Keyne Seebacher            elle@midway.uchicago.edu