[news.admin] Possible solution to C news dropping articles?

news@fnx.UUCP (News Administrator) (06/06/91)

In article <244y314w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>As I have mentioned several times, I did all of this. The software I was
>using was perfectly OK according to every test I was able to do from here. I
>didn't get any error reports, I didn't notice anything untoward. Postings to
>misc.test using the 'bad' software worked -- I got responses.

So, I have an idea.  Why doesn't someone cobble up a test suite using the
appropriate pieces of Cnews code?  A site could then run the test suite
on a sample article to see if some site down the line would dump it on the
floor.  This way Henry, et al. don't have to do inelegant things to their
software, and anybody that cares if their articles get out to the world
have a way to check their software.

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/06/91)

news@fnx.UUCP (News Administrator) writes:
> So, I have an idea.  Why doesn't someone cobble up a test suite using the
> appropriate pieces of Cnews code?  A site could then run the test suite
> on a sample article to see if some site down the line would dump it on the
> floor.

That helps a bit, but it isn't really the whole solution. There's no
guarantee that the sample article will exhibit the error in question. For
example, if you are using rn and one of your users is in the habit of
leaving out the spaces after the colons in a newsgroup header, then all his
postings will be silently dropped, but your sample article will pass the
test suite with no problems.

One could use the test suite to check every article leaving the site, but
that may be difficult depending upon the software being used. Also note that
making the test suite sufficiently portable will be quite a challenge.

Issuing error reports is a more robust solution, and probably less effort
because you only have to make the code as portable as C News.

mathew

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (06/10/91)

In article <HPN532w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>For example, if you are using rn and one of your users is in the habit of
>leaving out the spaces after the colons in a newsgroup header, then all his
>postings will be silently dropped, but your sample article will pass the
>test suite with no problems.

The issue here is user education and/or fixes to Pnews.

--
\/ato                                                               /'\  /`\
Ian Dickinson                 TED KALDIS FOR PRESIDENT!            /^^^\/^^^\

jbuck@forney.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (06/11/91)

In article <+F7_3++@warwick.ac.uk>, cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:
|> In article <HPN532w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
|> >For example, if you are using rn and one of your users is in the habit of
|> >leaving out the spaces after the colons in a newsgroup header, then all his
|> >postings will be silently dropped, but your sample article will pass the
|> >test suite with no problems.
|>
|> The issue here is user education and/or fixes to Pnews.

Since Pnews is a script, it is trivial to make the following simple modification
to it: instead of feeding the article to inews directly, it feeds it to a simple
checking/repair program instead.  This program checks all headers for validity,
and fixes up common errors that can be repaired (e.g. putting back the space
if someone says "Keywords:foo" in a header.  If a header cannot be repaired,
it returns a false status; if everything is valid after fixups, it feeds the
article to inews.

The code to do the checking can be taken directly from C news, since Henry
and Geoff have already taken the trouble to write it.  Fixing your Pnews
will then become a one-liner; just change the definition of the "inews" shell
variable to point to the new program.

For NNTP users, we can do even better: change the mini-inews program to do
the checks before talking to the NNTP server.  Then Pnews need not be changed
at all.

--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/11/91)

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:
> In article <HPN532w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *H
> >For example, if you are using rn and one of your users is in the habit of
> >leaving out the spaces after the colons in a newsgroup header, then all his
> >postings will be silently dropped, but your sample article will pass the
> >test suite with no problems.
>
> The issue here is user education and/or fixes to Pnews.

And then what happens when the next piece of similar software comes along?

Even if you can get all existing net software fixed to be perfect at
detecting errors before sending out articles -- which you can't -- that isn't
going to help people running new software.

mathew

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun10.182410.2731@agate.berkeley.edu> jbuck@forney.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) writes:
>For NNTP users, we can do even better: change the mini-inews program to do
>the checks before talking to the NNTP server.  Then Pnews need not be changed
>at all.
I have an inews that fully verifies all headers.  It uses the NNTP
LIST and HEAD commands to verify newsgroup, moderation status, "can
you cancel this?" and so on.  It will be ready for public release in
the fall.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) (06/14/91)

In article <9oND43w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:
>> The issue here is user education and/or fixes to Pnews.
>And then what happens when the next piece of similar software comes along?
>Even if you can get all existing net software fixed to be perfect at
>detecting errors before sending out articles -- which you can't -- that isn't
>going to help people running new software.

But why would anybody release NEW software that didn't follow the RFCs?

--

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/17/91)

cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:
> In article <9oND43w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *H
> >Even if you can get all existing net software fixed to be perfect at
> >detecting errors before sending out articles -- which you can't -- that isn'
> >going to help people running new software.
>
> But why would anybody release NEW software that didn't follow the RFCs?

Why don't you ask in news.software.anu-news?

I know it must be hard for you to understand, but sometimes when people write
software in their own spare time and release it for free, they don't spend
long enough testing it to remove every single bug.

mathew

In article <BXwo41w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>I know it must be hard for you to understand, but sometimes when people write
>software in their own spare time and release it for free, they don't spend
>long enough testing it to remove every single bug.

  Time to stop the debate.  We have come full circle.  As I recall, this
is a paraphrase of one the early comments to Mathew, telling him his
criticism of C news was unreasonable.  Now we see Mathew, while continuing
to criticize C news, adopting the same argument to defend his news software
against the backlash criticism it is receiving for generating bad articles
in the first place.

  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (06/19/91)

In article <BXwo41w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
[on broken posting software -> anu-news]
>I know it must be hard for you to understand, but sometimes when people write
>software in their own spare time and release it for free, they don't spend
>long enough testing it to remove every single bug.

So why should the vast majority of the net suffer for a very small
minority that's running bug infested software?

--Bill Davidson

alan@ukpoit.co.uk (Alan Barclay) (06/19/91)

In article <1XS{4|-@warwick.ac.uk> cudep@warwick.ac.uk (Ian Dickinson) writes:
>In article <9oND43w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>>And then what happens when the next piece of similar software comes along?
>
>But why would anybody release NEW software that didn't follow the RFCs?

BUGS! You might not want to release NEW software that doesn't follow the
RFCs but sooner or later someone is bound to make a mistake.

--
  Alan Barclay
  iT                                |        E-mail : alan@ukpoit.uucp

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/19/91)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> In article <BXwo41w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *H
> >I know it must be hard for you to understand, but sometimes when people writ
> >software in their own spare time and release it for free, they don't spend
> >long enough testing it to remove every single bug.
>
>   Time to stop the debate.  We have come full circle.  As I recall, this
> is a paraphrase of one the early comments to Mathew, telling him his
> criticism of C news was unreasonable.  Now we see Mathew, while continuing
> to criticize C news, adopting the same argument to defend his news software
> against the backlash criticism it is receiving for generating bad articles
> in the first place.

For the nth time:

I AM NOT DEFENDING FAULTY SOFTWARE.

I AM MERELY RECOGNIZING THAT IT EXISTS AND WILL CONTINUE TO EXIST.

I don't expect C News to be bugless.  However, I also do not expect it to rely
on all other posting software being faultless -- which it seems to at the
moment.

mathew

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
> In article <BXwo41w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *H
> [on broken posting software -> anu-news]
> >I know it must be hard for you to understand, but sometimes when people writ
> >software in their own spare time and release it for free, they don't spend
> >long enough testing it to remove every single bug.
>
> So why should the vast majority of the net suffer for a very small
> minority that's running bug infested software?

Because all we're asking you to do is propogate errors via a Usenet
newsgroup.  That's hardly a terrible imposition to suffer, and it will (a)
help to track down buggy software and fix it, (b) help as a means of
reporting problems such as dodgy gateways and huge articles, and (c) prevent
users stuck with bad software from being victimised unfairly.

mathew