[news.admin] Learning about dropped articles

In article <1991Jun13.141538.21196@oar.net> karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:

>So much for non-notification.  Anyone suspecting that their articles
>aren't escaping the local feed's gravity well can always attempt a
>*.test posting to see what comes back.

 And if they are not subscribed to any hierarchy containing a test group,
all they need do is post something stupid.  If they don't receive a few
email flames, either their news is not getting out, or their return email
address is invalid.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu (06/13/91)

Far too many people want others to solve their problems for them.  The
right way to solve any problem is to address it oneself.

mathew@mantis.co.uk writes:
   But first they have to somehow find out about the dropping.

So test your ability to reach the known universe:

	[52] [10:04am] ashley:/usr/lib/news> fgrep .test newsgroups
	alt.test                Alternative subnetwork testing.
	bit.test                Simply for testing.
	biz.test                Biz newsgroup test messages.
	dnet.test
	eunet.test              EUnet-wide test group.
	gnu.gnusenet.test       GNU's Not Usenet alternative network testing.
	misc.test               For testing of network software.  Very boring.
	oar.test                Testing OARnet propogation?
	sub.test                Fuer Superschachteln und andere wichtige Tests
	trial.test              Testing of the Trial distribution.
	u3b.test                3B Distribution Testing.
	unix-pc.test            Test group.
	vmsnet.test             Test messages.
	[53] [10:04am] ashley:/usr/lib/news>

Pick one or more; I recommend misc.test with a world distribution.
Auto-responders for *.test the world over will babble happily at you
about your postings, if and when they get them.  Lack of response is a
wonderful indicator of failing software.  If necessary, you can then
argue with your feed's newsadmin over the issue.

So much for non-notification.  Anyone suspecting that their articles
aren't escaping the local feed's gravity well can always attempt a
*.test posting to see what comes back.

--karl

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/14/91)

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
> So much for non-notification.  Anyone suspecting that their articles
> aren't escaping the local feed's gravity well can always attempt a
> *.test posting to see what comes back.

New here, aren't you?

I *DID* try misc.test with worldwide distribution.  I got responses from
various sites, some in far-away places.  Because, of course, there happened
to be a path to some of those sites which didn't go via any C News sites.

However, large areas of the net didn't get the misc.test message.  Of course,
I had no way to know this, because I had no way to predict how many responses
I ought to have got.

Besides, are you really suggesting that every user should post to misc.test
periodically, just to make sure some new revision of C News hasn't moved the
goalposts and rendered his articles illegal overnight?

mathew

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/15/91)

mathew@mantis.co.uk wrote:
>karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
>> ... stuff ...
>
>New here, aren't you?

Thump.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P Barrett) (06/17/91)

In article <1VgJ46w164w@mantis.co.uk>,
mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
> Besides, are you really suggesting that every user should post to misc.test
> periodically, just to make sure some new revision of C News hasn't moved the
> goalposts and rendered his articles illegal overnight?

The goalposts haven't been moved since December 1987, when RFC 1036 was
published.  (Unless you count the publication in October 1989 of RFC
1123, which updates RFC 822, which is referenced by RFC 1036.)

Mathew, I sympathise with you about having your articles dropped without
notification, but frankly I wish you would shut up now.  While blaming
others for your problems might be emotionally satisfying, it is not very
productive.

I hope that Henry and Geoff will implement a suitable and robust error
reporting scheme some time; indeed, I have every confidence that they
will.  However, that does not alter the fact that any news transport
software is primarily concerned with correctly formatted articles.  If
bad articles are dropped with no more notification than a line in a log
file which might or might not be noticed, then that's certainly
regrettable, but life can be tough sometimes.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
RFC822: barrett@ee.und.ac.za             Bang: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/17/91)

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> mathew@mantis.co.uk wrote:
> >karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
> >> ... stuff ...
> >
> >New here, aren't you?
>
> Thump.

I take it that's an expression of disagreement.  Perhaps you would like to
show me a few of his previous articles on this subject?  They don't seem to
have reached this site -- bad date lines, perhaps? -- hence my assumption
that his foolish posting was due to his jumping into the middle of a
discussion he hadn't been following, and my comment to that effect.

mathew

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (06/18/91)

In article <1VgJ46w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) writes:
>karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
>> So much for non-notification.  Anyone suspecting that their articles
>> aren't escaping the local feed's gravity well can always attempt a
>> *.test posting to see what comes back.
>
>New here, aren't you?

Mathew, you must be new or you'd know better.

>I *DID* try misc.test with worldwide distribution.  I got responses from
>various sites, some in far-away places.  Because, of course, there happened
>to be a path to some of those sites which didn't go via any C News sites.

So you weren't really cut off from the net eh?  You were just cut off
from Cnews sites.  All this over something less than the majority of
the net?  Phhhht.

>Besides, are you really suggesting that every user should post to misc.test
>periodically, just to make sure some new revision of C News hasn't moved the
>goalposts and rendered his articles illegal overnight?

No.  The news admin should do it.  The users can remain oblivious.  Too
bad that you think the news admin should too.

--Bill Davidson

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/18/91)

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P Barrett) writes:
> Mathew, I sympathise with you about having your articles dropped without
> notification, but frankly I wish you would shut up now.  While blaming
> others for your problems might be emotionally satisfying, it is not very
> productive.

I am not blaming others for the articles being badly formatted.  I am saying
that responding to an error by throwing away input without telling the user
is unacceptable behaviour and should be fixed.

You want productive?  I've suggested a mechanism for reporting errors.  I've
discussed it here and also by mail with Henry Spencer.  I've offered to do
the work myself to implement it.  So far, nobody has pointed out any
fundamental problems with the method proposed.

Of course, now some idiot will say "Well, isn't receiving four billion mail
messages a problem?", or will drag some other straw-man out of the grave yet
again.

mathew

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/18/91)

Tell ya what, mathew .. consult your friendly neighborhood archive
server, get the CNews source, and change whatever you want. Post
the diffs to it, saying that these are your modifications as a
suggestion for the solution to a problem as you see it. People are
then given the opportunity to apply those diffs should they so desire,
or they can stay with the normal CNews, should they so desire.

Or realize that Darwin was right, and that one teeny tiny voice among
many, even if it shouts LOUD and REPEATEDLY, won't forcably change
everyone else's mind.

--

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/19/91)

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
> In article <1VgJ46w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *H
> >I *DID* try misc.test with worldwide distribution.  I got responses from
> >various sites, some in far-away places.  Because, of course, there happened
> >to be a path to some of those sites which didn't go via any C News sites.
>
> So you weren't really cut off from the net eh?  You were just cut off
> from Cnews sites.  All this over something less than the majority of
> the net?

I was cut off from C News sites, and from sites fed via C News sites.  That
didn't include the entire net. So I was lucky.

The next person might not be so lucky.  In fact, there could
be people now connected to the net only via a route including a C News site;
those people could be having their postings dropped by C News, and they could
be completely unaware of it.

There's nothing YOU can do to find out whether this is the case.  It'll be
pure luck if they notice that something is amiss -- and it might be months
before they do notice.

mathew

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/19/91)

=> mathew@mantis.co.uk wrote:
=> >karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu writes:
=> >> ... stuff ...

=> >New here, aren't you?

=> Thump.

=I take it that's an expression of disagreement.  Perhaps you would like to
=show me a few of his previous articles on this subject?  They don't seem to
=have reached this site -- bad date lines, perhaps? -- hence my assumption
=that his foolish posting was due to his jumping into the middle of a
=discussion he hadn't been following, and my comment to that effect.

Karl has been on the net for more than the two years this site has been.

One doesn't have to post to follow a discussion.

Matthew, try writing a little script that scans your history file for
"osc.edu", examines each of the articles found for the string
"From: karl.kleinpaste", and returns a count of the articles containing
it. The number might suprise you.

I've been following this discussion, and this is my first posting in
it. Initially, you had a concern--that something was quietly dropping
some of your articles. It's been shown that while they are being dropped,
there is note made of the dropping. Your continued harping on the matter
has gone well beyond useful to annoyingly repetitive, and has now
degenerated to flaming.

You're in the same position of a motorist who's been accustomed to doing
50 in a 35 zone, and finally got a ticket ("But I've been doing it for
years, and got away with it!"). Until you can come up with something
useful, like a RFC compliance checker for new postings, drop it. (If you
want to write such a checker, I'll bet Henry and Geoff would be glad
to let you use parts of the C news code.)

Otherwise, expect to see less and less discussion as people add the
subject or your to their kill files.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (06/19/91)

In article <eXHs49w164w@mantis.co.uk> Giving C News a *HUG* <mathew@mantis.co.uk> writes:
>billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) writes:
>> In article <1VgJ46w164w@mantis.co.uk> mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *H
>> >I *DID* try misc.test with worldwide distribution.  I got responses from
>> >various sites, some in far-away places.  Because, of course, there happened
>> >to be a path to some of those sites which didn't go via any C News sites.
>> So you weren't really cut off from the net eh?  You were just cut off
>> from Cnews sites.  All this over something less than the majority of
>> the net?
>
>I was cut off from C News sites, and from sites fed via C News sites.  That
>didn't include the entire net. So I was lucky.
>
>The next person might not be so lucky.  In fact, there could
>be people now connected to the net only via a route including a C News site;
>those people could be having their postings dropped by C News, and they could
>be completely unaware of it.

If this were true, then articles to misc.test wouldn't get out.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
	But you're wrong Steve. You see, its only solitaire.

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu (06/20/91)

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk writes:
  >The next person might not be so lucky.  In fact, there could
  >be people now connected to the net only via a route including a C News site;
  >those people could be having their postings dropped by C News, and they
  >could be completely unaware of it.

  If this were true, then articles to misc.test wouldn't get out.

This was why I made the *.test suggestion in the first place, since it
was my understanding, possibly erroneous, that the fundamental
objection came from Mathew's articles being dropped by his immediate
feed site, not sites N hops down the line.

--karl

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/20/91)

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
> In article <eXHs49w164w@mantis.co.uk> Giving C News a *HUG* <mathew@mantis.co
> >             The next person might not be so lucky.  In fact, there could
> >be people now connected to the net only via a route including a C News site;
> >those people could be having their postings dropped by C News, and they coul
> >be completely unaware of it.
>
> If this were true, then articles to misc.test wouldn't get out.

Suppose there happens to be a path from your machine to somewhere in
California, *not* going via C News.  Suppose your path to most other places
*is* via one or more C News sites.

You can post to misc.test and get replies from sites thousands of miles away.
But 90% of the net might not be receiving your postings.  And if you're new
to the net, you probably have no idea how many replies misc.test ought to net
you.

Besides, as has been pointed out already, requiring everyone to post to
misc.test periodically isn't a very good solution to the problem.

mathew

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
> Karl has been on the net for more than the two years this site has been.
>
> One doesn't have to post to follow a discussion.

Indeed. However, his posting made it perfectly clear that he hadn't been
following the discussion.

> I've been following this discussion, and this is my first posting in
> it. Initially, you had a concern--that something was quietly dropping
> some of your articles. It's been shown that while they are being dropped,
> there is note made of the dropping.

Indeed.  My only concern is that the note is not somewhere where I can read
it.

> You're in the same position of a motorist who's been accustomed to doing
> 50 in a 35 zone, and finally got a ticket

If I had got a ticket (an error report) I wouldn't have complained.

mathew

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (06/21/91)

In article <N4Ju41w164w@mantis.co.uk> Giving C News a *HUG* <mathew@mantis.co.uk> writes:
>dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
>> In article <eXHs49w164w@mantis.co.uk> Giving C News a *HUG* <mathew@mantis.co
>> >             The next person might not be so lucky.  In fact, there could
>> >be people now connected to the net only via a route including a C News site;
>> >those people could be having their postings dropped by C News, and they coul
>> >be completely unaware of it.
>> If this were true, then articles to misc.test wouldn't get out.
>Suppose there happens to be a path from your machine to somewhere in
>California, *not* going via C News.  Suppose your path to most other places
>*is* via one or more C News sites.

Umm, thats not what you said.  You said 'connected to the net only via a
route including a C news site'.  That means (taking a completely random
example)

mantis!ibmpcug!slxsys!ukc!...

and this is the one path that mantis has to the net.  If you were
generating bad articles, then none of those articles would get past us.
You didn't say 'most other places' the first time, you said 'only via a
route including a C news site'.  So therefore for this
hypothetical-person-at-the-end-of-the-line, posting articles to
misc.test *would* be a valid way of seeing if they were connected.

Dylan.
--

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/21/91)

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
> In article <N4Ju41w164w@mantis.co.uk> Giving C News a *HUG* <mathew@mantis.co
> >dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) writes:
> >> In article <eXHs49w164w@mantis.co.uk> Giving C News a *HUG* <mathew@mantis
> >> If this were true, then articles to misc.test wouldn't get out.
> >Suppose there happens to be a path from your machine to somewhere in
> >California, *not* going via C News.  Suppose your path to most other places
> >*is* via one or more C News sites.
>
> Umm, thats not what you said.  You said 'connected to the net only via a
> route including a C news site'. [...]
>                                       So therefore for this
> hypothetical-person-at-the-end-of-the-line, posting articles to
> misc.test *would* be a valid way of seeing if they were connected.

Indeed. My purpose above was to explain why misc.test was not generally a
valid way of checking for connection.  Of course for *some* people it is
adequate, I'm not disputing that.

mathew