[news.admin] C News's conservatism

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (06/27/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>To properly implement the robustness principle,
>when you relay traffic you *must* make sure it meets the specs, either
>by repairing deviations or by rejecting nonconforming articles....
>We chose rejection....

In short, here's the C News line of reasoning:

	Be conservative in what you send.
	Send an exact copy of what you accept.
	---------------------------------------- [ therefore ]
	Be conservative in what you accept.

The logic is inexorable.  By this argument, the signs of liberality in
what C News currently accepts are bugs, strictly speaking, if the
article is sent elsewhere.  E.g. to conform with the RFCs, C News
should no longer forward articles whose dates have days like
`Wednesday' or hours like `1:23:45'.

In article <1991Jun26.182201.10100@twinsun.com> eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) writes:
>The logic is inexorable.  By this argument, the signs of liberality in
>what C News currently accepts are bugs, strictly speaking, if the
>article is sent elsewhere.  E.g. to conform with the RFCs, C News
>should no longer forward articles whose dates have days like
>`Wednesday' or hours like `1:23:45'.

Essentially correct.  We may never enforce 100.0% conformity, because it's
costly and largely pointless.  However, any areas in which enforcement is
currently loose are historical accidents rather than guarantees.  Should a
specific reason for tighter enforcement appear, it will happen.

This all, mind you, refers to *relaying*, where the combination of distrust
of automatic "repair" of problems and unwillingness to rewrite headers
without dire need leads us inevitably to constraining the form of input
to match the form of output.  We *are* rather more liberal in what we
accept as local postings, and inews does do certain kinds of cleanup.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry