[news.sysadmin] Generic Problem with Ultrix/BSD dump/restore

Is there are known problem with using dump/restore when processing a large
number of files?  I dumped our news spool using dump, which seemed to work
fine.  However when I tried to restore the tape, it processed up to the end
of the last tape, stopped, cogitated for several minutes, the spat out a message
about being unable to find an I-number.  It then asked abort/continue, and
I continued - it got a segmentation violation.

All but perhaps 5 files were restored, but the permissions of many of the
directories were not restored.  The 5 files do not show up on an index listing
of the tapes. It is possible that they fell through the cracks elsewhere since
I'm inferring their existence from the news history file.

All told, there were roughly 16000 files, although the tape index has 18000
lines.  I assume links account for this difference.  I think dump reported
dumping 16831 files - an infinitely suspicious number - but this was on a CRT...

Ah yes, Ultrix 1.2, running on a poor little VAX 11/750.

ems@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (11/18/86)

In article <992@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Is there are known problem with using dump/restore when processing a large
>[ several lines omitted]
>Ah yes, Ultrix 1.2, running on a poor little VAX 11/750.
>--
>George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

  We too are running Ultrix 1.2 on a poor little VAX 11/750 (not so bad when
 you are the sole user though).

  I know of no problems with restore, but dump(1) does have a bug carried
 over from Ultrix 1.1 .  Dump(1) does not correctly compute the amount of
 tape required and can reach end of tape unexectedly early. When this
 occures, dump stops and prompts the operator with a messages asking weather
 the process should be aborted.
  The work-around for this is to specify a smaller tape size (I specify
 a tape size of 2200 :  dump 0s 2200 filesystem   ).

------------- fold, spindle, mutilate at will ------(it's your CRT) ----
 Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
 Signetics Corp., PO Box 409, M/S 69, Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
 {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!ems
  or
 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!prls!ems

   Kick the habit: ask the American Lung Association about their
    "Freedom From Smoking" class. It worked for me, the wife, and 75%
     of the class. What a differance! Its GREAT!

  [ In this correspondance, I am representing myself and no others.
  I am not part of the PRLS group, but they are nice enough to allow me
  to TIP(1) to an account on their machine so I can send/receive email.]