[news.sysadmin] Database of all net sites

tony@catsim.UUCP (02/04/87)

I'm still young on the net (2 months 2 years ago plus 1 week now).
With the questions that I have seen along the lines of "is foo on the net"
and with the questions that I will be getting from my net virgins users
here, I have a question my self to ask.

Is there a database program/file which lists all of the netsites by
country, region, alphabetical? If there is how often is it published?
If a program/file does not exist yet, is there someone in netland that
will develope it so that when I get ask by my users "is company 'johnDoe'
on" the net I can access/look_in in order to find out if the company
is on the net along with the rest of the newsite announcement information.

I'm sorry if I'm asking a dumb question which get asked all of the time.
In none of the introduction documentation is this question answered that
I saw. I feel that if I as a news administrator if I had a netsite
database/file which I could look at to answer my questions I would be
much happer.

I hope that this might be a new idea to the net. I'm looking forward
to any and all answers. Please no major flames.

					Thanks

					Tony Cratz

Disclaimer:	The options stated here are mine and not those of my
		company (they don't want them!).

UUCP: {hplabs,oliveb,amd}!intelca!catsim!tony
Snail Mail: 4051 Burton Dr
	    Santa Clara, Ca. 95054
Phone: 408-980-9144

reid@decwrl.UUCP (02/05/87)

There is currently a database of net sites posted in the newsgroup mod.map,
but it is being phased out and there will not be any replacement database.
Save this database--it will gradually become obsolete but it's the best you
are going to get.

dce@mips.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <7960@decwrl.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>There is currently a database of net sites posted in the newsgroup mod.map,
>but it is being phased out and there will not be any replacement database.
>Save this database--it will gradually become obsolete but it's the best you
>are going to get.

Could you give us a time frame on this "phasing out"? I had planned to
include the pathalias stuff, an automated database extractor, and
some mailer support in our next release. If the mod.map postings are
going to stop, I either don't want to include this stuff, or at best,
I would include the current database and a method for deleting paths
when users notice that mail isn't making it through a given path.

Any information would help.

--
			David Elliott

UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!dce, DDD:  	408-720-1700

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (02/09/87)

In article <170@quacky.mips.UUCP> dce@quacky.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:
>In article <7960@decwrl.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>>[...]
>>Save this database--it will gradually become obsolete but it's the best you
>>are going to get.
>Could you give us a time frame on this "phasing out"? I had planned to
>include the pathalias stuff, an automated database extractor, and
>some mailer support in our next release. [...]

For the purposes of mail routing, the database will continue to be
maintained.  The difference is that all the sites on the net will not
be included.  The d.* maps, which will replace the u.* maps, will
include only enough data to get the mail to the gateway system for the
destination domain, which would then route it further (i.e. within
that domain)

Jeff Siegal

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <7960@decwrl.DEC.COM> reid@decwrl.UUCP (Brian Reid) writes:
>There is currently a database of net sites posted in the newsgroup mod.map,
>but it is being phased out and there will not be any replacement database.
>Save this database--it will gradually become obsolete but it's the best you
>are going to get.

This is very misleading.  There are no plans to phase out the map being
posted to mod.map.

What is happening is that the emphasis is shifting from UUCP hosts to
organizational domains.  Thus, instead of having 20 entries for 20
UUCP machines that are all owned by Frobozz Inc, we'll have one domain
entry for Frobozz's domain, with information about the 1 or 2 gateway
machines into Frobozz, and sufficient routing information to get to
UUCP hosts beyond their gateway.  If you really want the name and phone
number of a particular system administrator of a particular internal
machine, you can call the contact person on the gateway and get it.

This shift is for some important reasons:

(1) The current map is just too big.  It's at 2MB and growing rapidly.
It costs a fortune to ship the whole thing around the net every month.

(2) The current map is too hard to keep up to date.  I get mail from
people who think that there is so much out of date information in the
map that they refuse to use it.  This problem only gets worse as the
map grows.  By concentrating on organizations instead of machines, we
reduce the problem to a more managable level.

(3) The internal details of a company are nobody's business but that
company.  AT&T in particular does not want it's internal list of system
administrators published to the outside; it considers that information
very proprietary, and I've been told to stop sending it out.

In December, I warned the net that these files (especially *.a.*)
would be going away, and that people should save copies if they really
want such information.  If you treasure lists of people that aren't any
of your business, you might as well save the whole map.  But there is
certainly no plan to make it harder to find a particular company by
looking at the map; in fact, this will be easier since domains are based
on organizations.

	Mark Horton
	Director, the UUCP Project

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <3339@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>In December, I warned the net that these files (especially *.a.*)
>would be going away, and that people should save copies if they really
>want such information.  If you treasure lists of people that aren't any
>of your business, you might as well save the whole map.  But there is
>certainly no plan to make it harder to find a particular company by
>looking at the map; in fact, this will be easier since domains are based
>on organizations.

I'm not interested in finding companies.  I'm interested in talking
to news administrators, especially when they botch something and
screw up the network.  This happened dozens of times during the Great
Net Renaming, and will continue to happen.  It's less embarassing to
the guilty party to have things resolved in a phone call than to be
flamed all over the net because no one knows how to reach him or her.

I agree that a complete UUCP map for the purposes of mail is
unnecessary.  However, a Usenet map, providing a subset of the
information currently in mod.map, is necessary.  Such a map is a
useful tool in maintaining the network and saving costs (by using
information in the map, site administrators in the Bay Area have come
up with ways to rearrange their news feeds to save money in the
past).

If the map is too large to handle on a national basis, perhaps
portions of it can be dealt with on a regional basis (ba.map, ne.map,
etc).

Information about network connectivity is NOT "none of our business",
because it affects the external community.  Sites with the line-eater
bug screw up the whole net, not just other sites in their own
company, unless they are leaf nodes.  By the same logic, the
"sendsys" control message should be removed.

--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck	HASA (A,S)
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

rob@briar.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <3339@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>(3) The internal details of a company are nobody's business but that
>company.  AT&T in particular does not want it's internal list of system
>administrators published to the outside; it considers that information
>very proprietary, and I've been told to stop sending it out.

Why?  Are they ashamed of them. :-)

There are a few uses of the map, which can't be substituted by the
domain system.  The first is if I'm looking for a uucp connection.
It provides a nice geographical way of finding a connection.
The second is finding out the system manager of a system.  We recently
changed our phone number here at philabs, and we had to phone EVERYONE
up and tell them, the maps provided the data.

I'm not arguing for or against them just stating what will disappear.

rob

dricej@drilex.UUCP (02/12/87)

In article <747@briar.UUCP> rob@briar.philips.com.UUCP (Rob Robertson) writes:
>In article <3339@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>>(3) The internal details of a company are nobody's business but that
>>company.  AT&T in particular does not want it's internal list of system
>>administrators published to the outside; it considers that information
>>very proprietary, and I've been told to stop sending it out.
>
>Why?  Are they ashamed of them. :-)

No--they're afraid you might try to hire them all.

Seriously, the employee list for nearly any company is considered
confidential.  Sure, it isn't hard to get ahold of the company phone list
at most companies, but when the charges of employee raiding start to fly,
that list is considered confidential.

>There are a few uses of the map, which can't be substituted by the
>domain system.  The first is if I'm looking for a uucp connection.
>It provides a nice geographical way of finding a connection.
>The second is finding out the system manager of a system.  We recently
>changed our phone number here at philabs, and we had to phone EVERYONE
>up and tell them, the maps provided the data.

Most of the 'external' links will probably continue to be published.  And one
should certainly have the phone numbers of the sysadmins of the sites you talk
to.  The principle behind the domain-oriented maps, though, is that if you can
find the person on your company phone list, and his/her site doesn't talk to
the outside world, then you needn't publish his/her site.

Maybe we can have a special place where companies list the latitude and
longitude of their internal machines, without listing anything else.  However,
in most cases, even this won't add much to the map.  Except for large companies
with extensive internal nets (many of which, like DEC, don't publish their map
today), most of the machines which will disappear are colocated with gateway
machines which will not.
--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard!axiom,linus!axiom,ll-xn}!drilex!dricej

spear@ihlpf.UUCP (02/12/87)

in article <3339@cbosgd.ATT.COM>, mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) says:
> What is happening is that the emphasis is shifting from UUCP hosts to
> organizational domains.  Thus, instead of having 20 entries for 20
> UUCP machines that are all owned by Frobozz Inc, we'll have one domain
> entry for Frobozz's domain...

So this is all assuming that people are using domains - what percentage
of sites are actually doing this now?  I still get a lot of mail
with only a 'bang path' and the current map is invaluable in getting
back to people without a domain.  Presumably this capability will now
be lost unless the organizational domain is known.

Steve Spearman
ihnp4!ihlpf!spear  or for those with foresight, spear @ihlpf.ATT.COM

usenet@soma.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <882@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>If the map is too large to handle on a national basis, perhaps
>portions of it can be dealt with on a regional basis (ba.map, ne.map,
>etc).

I think this is a GREAT idea, but am unsure about the best way to subset
things. It seems to support the idea of regional "domains" which many
argue about. I hope that we can keep the Administrator information
available somehow since it is a nice idea to be able to call the administrator
when mail/news problems exist.

Stan	     uucp:{shell,rice,cuae2}!soma!sob       Opinions expressed here
Olan         domain:sob@rice.edu or sob@soma.bcm.tmc.edu   are ONLY mine &
Barber       CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)790-9004               noone else's.