[news.sysadmin] Call for one LESS group - news.admin vs news.sysadmin

dww@stl.UUCP (02/25/87)

Ten days ago I posted an article to news.groups proposing that, since they
usually contain the same postings and mostly have the same readers, the
two admin groups be combined into one.    Since then I have had one mail
message in favour and one against.   While I still think it is pointless
having two groups when only one is needed, the level of interest in this
question clearly does not justify taking any action.

Looks like those who say it's almost impossible to get rid of a group by
democratic means are right.   Pity; it makes it harder to argue for new
groups when they are needed.
--
Regards,
        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (03/02/87)

In article <499@u410a.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>Ten days ago I posted an article to news.groups proposing that, since they
>usually contain the same postings and mostly have the same readers, the
>two admin groups be combined into one.    Since then I have had one mail
>message in favour and one against.   While I still think it is pointless
>having two groups when only one is needed, the level of interest in this
>question clearly does not justify taking any action.

Sure, get rid of it.  It's never been clear to me that there is really any
difference between the two groups.  On the other hand, the cost of a group
that does not generate any unique traffic is essentially nil.  It's just
hard to get excited about it.

I don't know how it made it through the renaming plan, but net.gods, why
don't you just make news.sysadmin vanish, poof!

uddeborg@chalmers.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <499@u410a.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>Ten days ago I posted an article to news.groups proposing that, since they
>usually contain the same postings and mostly have the same readers, the
>two admin groups be combined into one.    Since then I have had one mail
>message in favour and one against.   While I still think it is pointless
>having two groups when only one is needed, the level of interest in this
>question clearly does not justify taking any action.

I would come to the opposite conclusion.  Since (almost) noone objects to
this cleanup, go ahead and and get the group removed!  Groups are created
when there is enough interest to motivate a separate forum.  They should be
removed (or, as in this case, combined), when there isn't enough interest
any more.  Obviously, there isn't very much interest to keep these to groups
separate.
--
"For me, UNIX is a (way of) being."

	uddeborg@chalmers.{UUCP,CSNET}