[news.sysadmin] cheap entry into the Usenet

geoff@desint.UUCP (04/05/87)

In article <12737@watnot.UUCP> ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:

> Actually, Dave Taylor had a good point buried in his posting.
> Namely, there has been a long tradtion of zero *entry* cost
> into the UUCP/usenet system...
> ...It's easier to say to a boss, who doesn't see the need...

I think Colin has a really good point here.  I fought my partner for
*years* (fortunately not often) over the time I spend on reading news and
maintaining the net connection.  But I gradually won him over.  After
all, he reads his mail with 'elm' and spell-checks with 'ispell'.  And
we've gotten several job leads and at least one actual contract over
the net.  Now he sees our net connection as indispensable, and when we
get a bigger machine, we'll finally be in a position to start pulling
our own weight.  But I don't think I could have convinced him beforehand
if the net had been the only justification for purchasing an $800 modem.
--

	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   {hplabs,ihnp4}!trwrb!desint!geoff