[news.sysadmin] Is there a way to test "mailpaths"?

tom@pedsgo.UUCP (05/29/87)

Is there a way to test the "mailpaths" file I have set up here?  I looked
thru the active file for a "test" group that is moderated but did not find
one.  I dont want to post a "test" message to a non-test newsgroup.
Suggestions?

Should a new (moderated) newsgroup be set up to allow this?

--
NAME:   Tom Gillispie           MA BELL:(201) 758-7321
UUCP:   ...{pesnta|prcrs|princeton|topaz|hjuxa|vax135}!petsd!pedsgo!tom

david@ukma.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <823@pedsgo.UUCP> tom@pedsgo.UUCP writes:
>Is there a way to test the "mailpaths" file I have set up here?  ...
>
>Should a new (moderated) newsgroup be set up to allow this?

So set one up.  Do:

inews -h <<'EOF'
Sender: you@where.ever.you.are
From: you@where.ever.you.are
Subject: newgroup a-local-distribution.mod-test moderated
Control: newgroup a-local-distribution.mod-test moderated
Newsgroups: a-local-distribution.test.ctl

This is a moderated test newsgroup for local use
EOF

That will set up the newsgroup.  (Oh, I tried to do it all from the
inews command line, but couldn't find a way to set moderated with -C).
Once you have that done, set up a line in your mailpaths file for
that newsgroup and try to post to it.
--
----- David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, david@ms.uky.csnet
----- (also "postmaster", "news", and the Usenet map maintainer for Kentucky.)

jeff@necntc.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <6763@a.ms.uky.csnet> david@ms.uky.csnet (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) writes:

>So set one up.  Do:
> [inews -h stuff deleted - 9 lines]
>
>That will set up the newsgroup.  (Oh, I tried to do it all from the
>inews command line, but couldn't find a way to set moderated with -C).
>Once you have that done, set up a line in your mailpaths file for
>that newsgroup and try to post to it.

Why not:

inews -n nec.test.ctl -c newgroup nec.test moderated -d local -a "jj"

don't forget the mail alias or to actually create the pseudo-user
ie. nec-test@necntc

It seems to work for me...  How are others accomplishing this?

-jj

--
Jeff Janock - NEC Electronics +1 617 655 8833 jeff@necntc.NEC.COM
{ames, decvax, harvard, linus, mit-eddie}!necntc!jeff