[news.sysadmin] Monitoring outgoing news

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <1765@drivax.UUCP>, braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:
> I was wondering if there were a way I could monitor postings of users at my
> site.  The main reason is just curiosity....

This is possible for postings to unmoderated groups.  Just add a line to
your sys file like this:

	nsa:all:L:/usr/lib/sendmail usenet

This causes all locally generated articles to be forwarded to system "nsa"
by executing the command "/usr/lib/sendmail usenet".  Of course there is
no such site :-) but news doesn't know that.

Unfortunately you can't monitor postings to moderated groups this way, since
these are mailed out and not turned into local articles available for
feeding to other sites.

Note that people could circumvent whatever deal you put in, e.g. by
sending a message to a friend at a nearby site for posting, or by
feeding it to "uux othersite!rnews".
--
Copyright 1987 John Gilmore; you may redistribute only if your recipients may.
(This is an effort to bend Stargate to work with Usenet, not against it.)

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (06/20/87)

In article <2277@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>	nsa:all:L:/usr/lib/sendmail usenet
>Unfortunately you can't monitor postings to moderated groups this way, since
>these are mailed out and not turned into local articles available for
>feeding to other sites.

I monitor outgoing postings by simply greping through the news log file
for my sites' handle (uhccux.UUCP) which is logged on all lines entered
into the news log when a local posting is created.  Since that line is
also attached to moderated group postings which are forwarded to the
moderator I can see at a glance everything that is going out.  --todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Center for Teaching Excellence
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd