From chuq Wed Jul  1 11:01:57 1987
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 11:01:30 PDT
From: chuq (Chuq Von Rospach)
To: cbosgd!mod-back
Subject: This is getting annoying...
Cc: chuq

I've been trying to ignore this entire discussion, both on the net and
in my mailbox.  But the volume is getting rather annoying, as is the
strident wailing of everyone involved. I'm tired of it. It isn't making
and progress, and it isn't getting any more intelligent.

so I make the following, hopefully useful comment:

	If you don't have something intelligent to say, shut up.

And some quick, hopefully intelligent things to say, and then I'll shut up:

o For the record, I will not allow anyone to second guess the way I run
	my moderated groups. If someone has a disagreement with my
	policies, they can discuss it with me.  But as long as I'm
	moderator, I have final say. Period. End of discussion.

o If the net can't live with that, then I'll step down.  By net, I
	don't mean the net at large -- not net gods, not backbone
	cabals, not individuals with messiah complexes or axes to
	grind.  comp.text.desktop has (by brians numbers) 8000 readers
	and no complaints. I'm not going to change.  I'm not going to
	allow someone to come in, second guess me retroactively, and
	change it for me. If you can't live with that, tough -- I have
	other things I can do with my time.

o if anyone, in any way, fucks with rec.mag.otherrealms, the magazine
	is pulled off the net.  period. exclamation point. otherrealms
	is a service I give to the net, not the other way around.  If
	folks don't like it, again, I have lots of other places to
	spend my time -- and people can buy subscriptions to the
	magazine and get it in the mail.

As a moderator, I have a specific vision for a group.  If someone has a
disagreement with that vision, we should talk.  But I won't have anyone
secondguessing me behind my back or reducing my authority to control
the vision.  If you can't live with this, just let me know, and I'll go
somewhere where my contributions are appreciated.

And, for the record, moderation, at least MY moderation works:

o comp.text.desktop:  in the first month on USENET, it garnered 8,000
	readers.  I've started dialogs with a couple of DTP based
	publishers, and there is a possible article in the works with a
	major computer magazine on the group.  Volume is higher than I
	expected, and noise level is as close to nil as you'll find
	anywhere on the net.

o rec.mag.otherrealms: issue #17 is in the works.  This magazine has
	earned a good reputation with the publishers (for a good time,
	look at the publicity blurbs on "Blood of Amber" by Zelazny), a
	lot of support by the authors (upcoming articles include
	material by Jack Chalker, Harry Turtledove, interviews with
	Gadrner Dozois, Mike Resnick, and continuing reviews by Frank
	Catalano and Charles de Lint.  OtherRealms has also been deemed
	a professional enough publication to qualify me for a
	membership in the SFWA. In this case the net is a large part of
	the readership, but a small part of the magazine -- a magazine
	that is picking up a strong, positive recognitition throughout
	the field.

And if anyone thinks they can run this stuff better than I can, I
suggest they try -- somewhere other than MY groups.  As long as I'm
moderating them, I'm moderating them.  If the net can't live with
success, they're welcome to the kind of trash they get in all the
normal groups.

Now, we return you to your normal mindless ego-babble.

chuq (yes, pissed)

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

Touch Not the Cat Bot a Glove -- MacIntosh Clan Motto

srt@CS.UCLA.EDU (07/02/87)

In article <22508@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> ... But the volume is getting rather annoying, as is the
>strident wailing of everyone involved.  I'm tired of it. It isn't making
>and progress, and it isn't getting any more intelligent.
>
>so I make the following, hopefully useful comment:
>
>	If you don't have something intelligent to say, shut up.

I looked up "irony" in the dictionary and it said "See 22508@sun.uucp".

    Scott R. Turner
    UCLA Computer Science     "The spinning nexus of reality"
    Domain: srt@ucla.cs.edu
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt