[news.sysadmin] ply to query about noble souls who post the news

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (07/03/87)

In article <2767@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> In article <272@brandx.rutgers.edu> webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) writes:
> > This net would not exist without the efforts of a great number of
> > people -- including the posters who thanklessly supply the flow for
> > the networking people to experiment with managing.
>
> 	What an interesting idea; usenet is nothing but an experiment in
> teleconferencing (at least partially true) and we all owe a vote of thanks
> to those noble souls who provide us with research material!  Let's try an
> analogy.

Considering that about 1% seem to be doing all the work, I would think
so.  Perhaps you think trying to communicate with people through the
medium of the net is not a skill that one acquires over many years of
practice?

> 	Here at the Public Health Research Institute, we expend a
> significant fraction of our effort studying AIDS.  Clearly, if AIDS didn't

Sigh.  I hope you realize that the sci.med.aids moderators claim
jurisdiction of all messages that mention the word AIDS.  You have
just gotten us both in a heap of trouble.

> exist, some of our researchers would be out of a job.  Come to think of it,
> since some of those researchers pay my salary, I might be out of a job too.

This is always how I understood science.  Without a universe, things
would be distinctly less interesting.  I think we all owe G*d a big
hand.

> So, it's in my best interest to make sure AIDS spreads as fast as possible.
> I think I'll send some unsafe-sex articles to sci.med.aids.  Nah, the
> moderator probably wouldn't post them.  But wait, I could always appeal to
> the net ombudsman to post them for me, couldn't I!

Sounds good to me.  Sounds presumptious of the moderator to prevent
his readers from responding to your article by never even letting them
see it.  Gee, I wonder what he thinks he is protecting them from --
oh, of course, from themselves.  Sigh.

> 	As Eric Idle once said, "What a stupid concept!"

No concept is stupid.  Although some concepts should watch where they
spend the night.

------ BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)