[news.sysadmin] simple solution to inet leakage

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (10/13/87)

Erik Fair kindly sent me a list of the inet groups.  If there's
sufficient interest, I'll post the list to news.sysadmin; otherwise
I'll just send out copies to those who request them.  Armed with this
list, sys admins can avoid passing inet groups to their downstream
neighbors.

If you don't care about the inet groups at all, you can alias each
of them to "junk", so that they stay in junk once and for all, instead
of seeping downstream to other sites.

If you like to read the inet groups anyway, but shouldn't pass them
downstream, you can alias them to fall under "inet":
	comp.lang.postscript	inet.comp.lang.postscript
If you want to post to such groups, be sure your upstream inet feed
has aliases to transform the names back to a format sanctioned by the
NNTP cabal (:-).

If you're an impoverished downstream site, you can (nicely) ask your
upstream neighbor to implement such aliases.  It sounds so simple there
must be a catch...

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (10/15/87)

Romain Kang's idea is bad juju. Don't do it.

It is highly likely that, given the level of attention that most
system admins give netnews, these aliases will leak to the rest of
the network, causing havoc.

Rick Adams is leading an effort to make most of the "inet" groups
into "real" USENET newsgroups which will cure the leak problem just
fine.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

cranor@udel.EDU (Chuck Cranor) (10/16/87)

In article <21290@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>Rick Adams is leading an effort to make most of the "inet" groups
>into "real" USENET newsgroups which will cure the leak problem just
>fine.

Yeah, but it was a mistake to map these news groups into the
main news group space in the first place.   It's not fair to
just dump inet stuff over the net with the wrong distribution.
[and I'm not too keen on putting !<all inet news groups> in my
sys file for any non-inet neighbors, which they could ask me to
do].  A better way to handle it is like the alt.* groups.

I'm all for making inet mailing lists into news groups, but not
by leaking articles all over the place - it's rude.

						Chuck
--
Chuck Cranor
University of Delaware  PHONE: (302)-451-6660 (UDel), (302)-737-5852 (home)