[news.sysadmin] Mailing from rn

bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (10/31/87)

The smail router is quite capable of shortening the incredibly long paths
that can be generated on a news article.  It must, however, be told to
re-route (which is not it's normal default).  The default mailer for rn
is /usr/lib/news/recmail and the mailto function uses execlp to invoke the
local or default mailer.  A comment suggests that you should define the
mailer of your preference as -DMAILER=my_mailer.  If you do define it as
#define MAILER "/bin/smail -R" the execlp will fail because it's expecting
arguments.  If, however, you change line 220 in recmail.c from
     execlp(mailer,mailer,recip,(char *)0);   to read
     execlp("/bin/smail","smail","-R",recip,(char *)0);
it will force smail to re-route mail replies out of rn.  I'm sure there is
a more elegant way to do it but that worked for me.

Another nuisance can be fixed in the Rnmail script.  The 2.11 recmail
program already appends $HOME/.signature to everything that goes through
it.  If you eliminate the prompt for .signature in Rnmail or make the default
be "no" there will be fewer things floating around with double signatures.
--
Bill Kennedy ...{cbosgd,rutgers,ihnp4!petro}!ed ake ptr

cyrill@scicom.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <401@ssbn.UUCP> bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>The smail router is quite capable of shortening the incredibly long paths
>mailer of your preference as -DMAILER=my_mailer.  If you do define it as
>arguments.  If, however, you change line 220 in recmail.c from
>     execlp(mailer,mailer,recip,(char *)0);   to read
>     execlp("/bin/smail","smail","-R",recip,(char *)0);
>it will force smail to re-route mail replies out of rn.  I'm sure there is
As I remember, you don't have to use /bin/smail -R but, can use /bin/rmail
the other link to 'smail' as the -DMAILER=my_mailer and it will reroute.
That's how we have it here, sending mail from 'rn' to /usr/lib/news/recmail|
/bin/rmail and it works! So, this is a second way to reroute from 'rn'.

--
Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp.  2570 Sky Ranch Rd. Aurora, CO. 80011
UUCP/DOMAIN	{boulder,hao,isis}!scicom!cyrill / cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com