[news.sysadmin] New Map Files - Latest PATHALIAS/NETNEWS versions required

news@jpusa1.UUCP (usenet) (12/02/87)

In article <8711241022.AA12529@RUTGERS.EDU> pleasant@rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) writes:
-If you've been looking for that reason to upgrade your news system, here it
-is!!  Not with this upcoming posting, but with all others you'll need to be
-up to version 2.11 patch #10 of the netnews system which added support for
-the Supercedes: header.  The latest patch, 2.11 patch #13, has just been
-released and posted to the newsgroup news.software.b.
-Updates will be posted with a Supercedes:
-header.  If you're not using a relatively recent version of netnews, your
-free disk space will evaporate because there will be several slightly
-different copies of the same files on your disk.  UPDATE NOW!!!!

Does anyone know whether uuhosts -unbatch will still work?  I'm a bit
worried about jumping up to patch #13 (we're stable at #8) and would
like some breathing time to see if #13 is stable.  If uuhosts will
continue to work, it can deal with the additional articles (I have it
set up to delete the article after extracting the map).  If not, I've
got double trouble...
-
Stu Heiss {gargoyle,ihnp4}!jpusa1!stu

pleasant@rutgers.rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) (12/02/87)

> Does anyone know whether uuhosts -unbatch will still work?

uuhosts should still work as always.  The only difference in the
individual articles is that each will contain only one map file.
--

-Mel Pleasant
uucp:   {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers.edu!pleasant

karl@mumble.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/02/87)

news@jpusa1.UUCP writes:
   I'm a bit
   worried about jumping up to patch #13 (we're stable at #8) and would
   like some breathing time to see if #13 is stable.

We were discussing getting ourselves up to #12 a week or so ago, but
there was concern expressed about the stability at that level.  I
dropped Rick Adams a short note asking about it (since 9 req'd 10, 10
broke sendbatch, 11 fixed sendbatch and broke expire, 12 fixed
expire), and he responded very quickly to say that #12 leaves you with
a stable system.  #13 may have problems, but you should be OK at #12.
-=-
Karl

mcb@lll-tis.arpa (Michael Berch) (12/10/87)

In article <8711241022.AA12529@RUTGERS.EDU> pleasant@rutgers.edu (Mel Pleasant) writes:
> . . .
> 		     * * *  N  E  T  N  E  W  S  * * *
>
> If you've been looking for that reason to upgrade your news system, here it
> is!!  Not with this upcoming posting, but with all others you'll need to be
> up to version 2.11 patch #10 of the netnews system which added support for
> the Supercedes: header.  The latest patch, 2.11 patch #13, has just been
      ^^^^^^^^^^
> released and posted to the newsgroup news.software.b.

> [...]  Updates [to the map] will be posted with a Supercedes: header.
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, that's the "Supersedes:" header, not the "Supercedes:"
header.  "Supersedes:" is correct, and the spelling error is in the article,
not the software.

I generally avoid spelling flames on the net, but I hope that the map
data will have the proper (non-misspelled) header, and that others who
use the Supersedes: header take care that they do not misspell it as
well.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis.arpa (soon: mcb@tis.llnl.gov)
UUCP: {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!mcb