[news.sysadmin] UUCP map extraction

andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) (12/10/87)

I would like to automatically extract the UUCP maps from comp.mail.maps as
they arrive each month.  I understand that some software is floating around
which does this.  I'd like to get my hands on a current version of such a
beast...

Also, how does the new map distribution mechanism affect such extraction?
The "Supercedes:" field in the header replaces an old article with a more
current version.  I don't see how that would help with updating maps, as
un-sharing the updates as they come in would overwrite the old files anyway.
How are we supposed to maintain the set of map files?

Thanks,
	Andrew		(..alberta!teletron!andrew)

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (12/15/87)

In article <158@teletron.UUCP>, andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:
> The "Supercedes:" field in the header replaces an old article with a more
> current version.  I don't see how that would help with updating maps, as
> un-sharing the updates as they come in would overwrite the old files anyway.

You are correct in assuming that when you unpack the shar file it will
overwrite the previous file in your archives.  However, the Supercedes
field will eliminate duplicate articles that are stored in your news
spool directories.  Maps are posted when a one month expiration.  Without
this entry, it would have been possible to have multiple revisions of
the same file online at once.

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, GM Truck & Bus Account
bob@rel.eds.com or {rutgers, cbosgd!edstb, philabs!fmsrl7}!rel!bob