[news.sysadmin] What is to be done with all these forgeries?

gsmith@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene W. Smith) (02/07/88)

In article <8801221146.AA00611@garnet.berkeley.edu> oreo!gsmith (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>In article <8801210557.AA01465@oreo> oreo!gsmith@violet.berkeley.edu (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>>>In article <8801200541.AA19851@garnet.berkeley.edu> oreo!gsmith@violet.berkeley.edu (Gene Ward Smith) writes:

>>And I think ignorance and bloody-mindedness is a bad combination,
>>a dangerous combination, and it is, I submit, the combination
>>which produces "facists" and many of the other depressing things
>>we like to throw at each other as labels. [etc]

>Anyone who knows me, or who has been reading my articles for several
>years, knows that these positions are not mine, this style is not mine,
>and these articles are not mine.  Far be it from me to deride someone
>who mocks the idiocy of someone laying in front of a moving train by
>calling him bloodthirsty or stupid or "facist" or a Nazi. And fur

  Since it has occasioned some confusion, I suppose I should
point out that the above disclaimer is itself a forgery. While my
Willson articles may have struck some people as a little shrill
(I began by assuming that most people knew the facts, which
turned out to be completely wrong!) I did write them.

  I might add that the claim by Rhonda Scribner that the "Brahms
Gang" has been involved in these forgeries is false. I am posting
this to the news administration groups, as I think both these
forgeries and the false attributions of them to innocent parties
could become quite a serious problem, though I am unsure of what
remedies there are even if the we could summon the will to adopt
them. Any comments, gentlemen?

ucbvax!garnet!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720
"These people aren't fascists, they are merely concerned that the
trains run on time." -- Barry Shein