[news.sysadmin] How do I register my node ???

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (02/13/88)

Please indulge a USENET rookie-type question...

	"How do I officially register my node???"

- I attempted to do so in December but haven't heard one way or the
other and have not seen us in the maps for Pennsylvania...

My apologies if I got the wrong newsgroup...feel free to respond
by mail rather than flood the network with responses, etc.

				Thanks...

--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (02/17/88)

In article <118@vader.UUCP> bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:
>	"How do I officially register my node???"
>
>- I attempted to do so in December but haven't heard one way or the
>other and have not seen us in the maps for Pennsylvania...

Things were apparently screwed up for a while--I had been trying
for nearly a year to get my site in Pittsburgh registered.  Well,
it turns out that the addresses posted with the maps are wrong:

    uucpmap@cbosgd	(map changes)
    tgt@stargate.com	(Pennsylvania)

should be

    uucpmap@rutgers	(map changes)
    dpz@rutgers		(Pennsylvania)

To make matters worse, mail to uucpmap@cbosgd gets forwarded
to rutgers, but via a path that doesn't work!  Or at least it
kept returning "unable to connect" messages when I tried it.

Once you send your entries to the correct addresses, you should
appear in the maps within a month.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	decvax!formtek!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{floyd,pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)