[news.sysadmin] Funny characters in my signature

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (02/24/88)

Can someone tell me why I get "--" inserted before my .signature?
I know there is a way around it.  Please e-mail me.  Thanks.

 Rodrigo Murillo, University of Colorado - Boulder
 murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU   -or-  ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo
   (Machines have less problems.  I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Worhol)

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (02/25/88)

Rodrigo Murillo (murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU) writes:
> Can someone tell me why I get "--" inserted before my .signature?
> I know there is a way around it.  Please e-mail me.  Thanks.

Two things.  First, it's "-- ", not "--".  Second, it's a feature that
the three character string "-- " be present just before the signature.
It allows users running certain software (if they want) to pause in
displaying articles before the signature is displayed.  As most info
people put in their signatures is in the header anyway, this is a win
for folks reading news on "slow" terminal lines.  For their sake, don't
try to "get around it".  Thanks.
P.S.  Rodrigo should think about deleting his own long line of underlines.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."

mack@inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) (02/25/88)

In article <4461@sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>Can someone tell me why I get "--" inserted before my .signature?
>I know there is a way around it.  Please e-mail me.  Thanks.

There is no way around it. This is line-eater excretion. The line-eater
munches the first line of your text, digests it and leaves its droppings
at the end of your article. Sorry I couldn't help.

--
  		Dave Mack	Professional Uckhea
  McDonnell Douglas-Inco, Inc. 		DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed