[news.sysadmin] bounced news->mail

abrams@bnl.ARPA (Karl L. Abrams) (03/02/88)

I have recently begun receiving many pieces of undeliverable mail which
are actually articles trying to reach the moderator of comp.unix.microport.
The returned mail all seems to originate at "linus.arpa", as gleaned from the
'From', 'From:' and the earliest 'Received:' entries,   but the 'Path:'s
show them originating at the site of the poster, and "linus" does not
appear in any of the paths.

I can understand why the mail is bouncing.  The posting sites still have the
newsgroup comp.unix.microport as moderated while the backbone site no longer
has a moderater listed for that group.  But why are copies of all of the
bounced articles winding up in my Postmaster mail queue?

   My mail queue is being swamped.  Any ideas anyone?

--
ARPA:		abrams@bnl.APRA
BITNET:		abrams@bnl.BITNET

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (03/09/88)

In article <382@bnl.ARPA> abrams@bnl.UUCP (Karl L. Abrams) writes:
>I have recently begun receiving many pieces of undeliverable mail which
>are actually articles trying to reach the moderator of comp.unix.microport.

Were these articles you posted?  Just curious.

>I can understand why the mail is bouncing.  The posting sites still have the
>newsgroup comp.unix.microport as moderated while the backbone site no longer
>has a moderater listed for that group.

Not exactly - all sites that are running 2.11 B that still have c.u.m moderated
will attempt to mail all un-"Approved:" articles they receive to the moderator
(via mailpaths usually) instead of handling it normally.

Eg: I posted one article, and I got two bounces because cbosgd had dropped
the c-u-m-request alias from their mailer.  One of them was relatively easy
to trace back to the system that generated the mail.  The other was a little
more difficult.  I sent mail to their administrators, and have gotten one
response back so far telling me that they had fixed their problem.

>But why are copies of all of the bounced articles winding up in my
>Postmaster mail queue?

Have other sites been putting you into their mailpaths files?  Soon as you
drop your alias for "c-u-m-request", you will start rejecting one heck
of a lot of mail (each site with you in their mailpaths file will send you
a copy of all unapproved articles - which results in getting the whole
load of c.u.m *times* the number of sites which have you in their mailpaths
dumped on you!).

I wish Spaf hadn't made checkgroups manual again...
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis