[news.sysadmin] netnews bug

samperi@mancol.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) (03/03/88)

Here is a bug that has bitten me several times. Any ideas?

The bug: If I post an article to several news groups, at least one of
which is moderated, I get a message telling me that my article is being
sent to the moderator, BUT my article is NOT posted to the unmoderated
groups that were also listed!
--
Dominick Samperi, Manhattan College, NYC
    manhat!samperi@NYU.EDU           ihnp4!rutgers!nyu.edu!manhat!samperi

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (03/04/88)

Dominick Samperi (samperi@mancol.UUCP) writes:
> Here is a bug that has bitten me several times. Any ideas?
>
> The bug: If I post an article to several news groups, at least one of
> which is moderated, I get a message telling me that my article is being
> sent to the moderator, BUT my article is NOT posted to the unmoderated
> groups that were also listed!

Not a bug.  A feature.  The idea is that the moderator will cross-post
the article for you after approving it for the moderated group.  (There
may also be some coordination effort if multiple moderated newsgroups
are cross-posted.)  Speaking now as a moderator, most of the time,
cross-posting requests are not appropriate.  For example, when I approve
something for comp.unix, I *never* cross-post to comp.unix.*.  In those
cases, I don't even send a note back to the poster on it.  In most of
the other cases, the person has chosen good newsgroups other than the
one I moderate, so I say so in my bounce message.

If the news system worked as you suggest, then we would have duplicate
articles floating around, with people seeing your posting in the
unmoderated group(s), then again in the moderated group(s).
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"I believe in the Tooth Fairy."  "I believe in Santa Claus."

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (03/07/88)

In article <285@mancol.UUCP>, samperi@mancol.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
> Here is a bug that has bitten me several times. Any ideas?
>
> The bug: If I post an article to several news groups, at least one of
> which is moderated, I get a message telling me that my article is being
> sent to the moderator, BUT my article is NOT posted to the unmoderated
> groups that were also listed!

Hmmm, if this is really biting other people, than its *possible* that its a
bug.  (the jury is still out, people)  Anyway, i had at least one user doing
exactly that -- posting an article to 3 groups, one of which was moderated, and
he kept complaining that his articles were never seen again.  I didn't think
that News had a cosmic_justice() function, so i couldn't figure out why the
heck they weren't showing up....!
--
Derek Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (03/11/88)

(Refering to a complaint that posting an article to multiple groups,
one of which is moderated, results in the article not being posted.)

Every few months we have to explain this again.  It is not a bug.
Consider what happens when you post an article.  It goes out
with all the newsgroups you posted to in the header so that only
one copy gets shipped, but so it appears in every group on every machine
through the magic of links.  Now if one of those groups is moderated,
and if the article were successfully posted to the other groups,
then every machine getting a copy will see the moderated newsgroup
and see no moderated stamp, so it will attempt to mail a copy to
the mdoerator and be unable to post it locally.  *That* would
be a bug.

The way it works now is that postnews sends your article to the
moderator.  If the moderator believes the cross posting is appropriate,
s/he will post it to all the groups (moderators can successfully
crosspost to their group).

If you want to post something to multiple groups, and you want
it to go to the unmoderated ones immediately, send it to
the moderated group separately if you don't want this behavior.
You lose the chance of tying in followups, but that is the price
you pay for being impatient. (1/2 :-)

The same mechanism takes over if you try to crosspost between
two moderated groups, btw, but the resolution is trickier.

--
Gene Spafford
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (03/11/88)

spaf@uther.cs.purdue.edu.UUCP (Gene Spafford) wrote:
>Every few months we have to explain this again.  It is not a bug.

Every few months I have to offer the solution: don't allow articles to
be crossposted to moderated groups.  Instead, post the article to
every non-moderated group as if the poster didn't specify a moderated
group, and mail each moderator listed a copy of the message/article.
Sure, it means multiple messages, but that's one of the prices you pay
for moderation.

>Consider what happens when you post an article.  It goes out with all
>the newsgroups you posted to in the header so that only one copy gets
>shipped, but so it appears in every group on every machine through the
>magic of links.

It's easy enough to change the newsgroups and article-id lines.

>If the moderator believes the cross posting is appropriate, s/he will
>post it to all the groups (moderators can successfully crosspost to
>their group).

That doesn't work when one of the groups is an Internet mailing list,
it doesn't work when there's more than one moderated newsgroup in the
newsgroup list (moderators tend to get terratorial about other people
posting to 'their' newsgroups) and/or could cause multiple moderated
postings, and/or could result in NO postings (the "other guy will do
it" syndrome), and it doesn't work when the moderator edits the
newsgroups line before posting (most moderators have posting software
that creates the Newsgroups: linefor them).

>send it to the moderated group separately if you don't want this behavior.

You're asking humans to adapt to the code, rather than the other way
around.  You're also asking them to know ahead of time what groups are
moderated and what groups are not.

Documenting a misfeature does not make it a feature.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

IRWIN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Irwin Tillman) (03/11/88)

In article <3479@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:

>(Refering to a complaint that posting an article to multiple groups,
>one of which is moderated, results in the article not being posted.)
>The way it works now is that postnews sends your article to the
>moderator.  If the moderator believes the cross posting is appropriate,
>s/he will post it to all the groups (moderators can successfully
>crosspost to their group).

Those of you using version P of Netnews (VM/CMS implementation), should
note that this is handled differently there.  Postnews takes the list
of newsgroups you supply and divides it into those that are moderated
and those which are unmoderated.  If the unmoderated list is not empty,
the article is posted immediately, with a Newsgroups header containing
only the unmoderated newsgroups.  If the moderated list is not empty,
the article is mailed to each moderator.  A newsgroup which *you*
moderate is considered unmoderated.