[news.sysadmin] will someone..

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (03/21/88)

In article <3903@cup.portal.com> Thyss@cup.portal.com writes:
>will someone please re send dmgbbs?  i see it look's pretty nice and i'm in
>the lookout for a bbs program, so if the person that put it up in the first
>place could re-upload it, i'd be grateful.  thanks,
>--
>Thyss@cup.portal.com

Let me see if I understand the content of this posting correctly.

Thyss wants the original poster to go through the trouble of
re-posting the multi-part package s/he just recently posted.  Thyss
further would like all that binary code to circulate through out the
world and reside in duplicate on all the machines on the net.  Could
this be Thyss's intent?

Wouldn't it have been more courteous to have posted an email message
directly to the author of DMGBBS and made arrangements to obtain a
copy directly from the author or an archive site?

If Thyss had done that, we wouldn't have had to read his impertinent
request, and s/he wouldn't have embarrassed him/herself by suggesting
that every site on the net contain two copies of the multi-hundred-kilobyte
binary posting.

Perhaps sysadmins of public-access sites should educate their users in
the proper use of Usenet before granting them the ability to post
articles?

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (03/22/88)

In article <221@conexch.UUCP>, root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
> In article <3903@cup.portal.com> Thyss@cup.portal.com writes:
> Thyss wants the original poster to go through the trouble of
> re-posting the multi-part package s/he just recently posted.  Thyss
>
> Perhaps sysadmins of public-access sites should educate their users in
> the proper use of Usenet before granting them the ability to post
> articles?
>
> Larry Dighera

I agree in principle.  I'm tired of seeing repostings and requests for
repostings of large, programs.  But I would hope that "netiquette"
rather than rules would control repostings.  If you missed a biggie,
and don't know who posted it, ask whoever to contact you E-Mail.
Then you can arrange for E-mail of, or direct USnail (via SASE) of
your program.  USnail may be slow, but it often beats files having to
withstand the ravages of pasting together, en- & de- coding, arc- and
unarc- ing.

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP