[news.sysadmin] HELP with "rnews"

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (03/24/88)

I am having trouble bringing up news on an Altos 3068 running their version
of UNIX. The "rnews" and "vnews" programs seem to be the ones that break
during the make. Following is an error listing (short thank God!) from our
most recent stab at making this work:

        cc  -s -i  readnews.o rfuncs.o rfuncs2.o rextern.o process.o rpathinit.o  funcs.o funcs2.o getdate.o header.o ndir.o ftime.o visual.o virtterm.o -lcurses  -o vnews
undefined               first referenced
 symbol                     in file
ROWS                            visual.o
botscreen                       visual.o
_junked                         visual.o
hasscroll                       visual.o
move                            visual.o
addstr                          visual.o
_amove                          visual.o
ushift                          visual.o
clrline                         visual.o
mvaddstr                        visual.o
addch                           visual.o
refresh                         visual.o
initterm                        visual.o
rawterm                         visual.o
cookedterm                      visual.o
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to vnews
*** Error code 13

Stop.

It seems that all compiles well until the "vnews" line, then for some reason
we find all of the "UNreferences" in the visual.c file. I hope there is some
kind soul on the net who has seen this before, and has a fix.

Thanks in advance....
	Fast Enough  - Never Is!	| James A. (JC) Carter
	Big Enough   - Never Is!	| Penguin Business Systems, Inc.
	Cheap Enough - Never Is!	| ..!rutgers!pbox!romed!penguin!jac

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (TCC Software Developer) (03/29/88)

In article <494@penguin.UUCP> jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) writes:
>I am having trouble bringing up news on an Altos 3068 running their version
>of UNIX. The "rnews" and "vnews" programs seem to be the ones that break
>during the make. Following is an error listing (short thank God!) from our
>most recent stab at making this work:

[deleted long compile and error listing]

James, what this error is telling you is that the linker is not finding
these object files in the standard libraries that you have specified in
the command line. They are NOT found in visual.c but should be in the
libraries. In looking at the libraries under SCO XENIX 2.2 they are
found in the curses and also the terminfo libraries. Also be careful
about any defines that may apply in the code. If you wish to examine
which objects are in which library use the command "ar t name-of-library"
and pipe it through more or less. My limited experience with Altos suggests
that either these objects are not in the standard place or may not even
exit.

>It seems that all compiles well until the "vnews" line, then for some reason
>we find all of the "UNreferences" in the visual.c file. I hope there is some
>kind soul on the net who has seen this before, and has a fix.

As I said, it is not the compiler at this point, but the linker that is
complaining. If you feel really stuck on this problem, feel free to email
and I will try to help you further.

					Best of luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA