[news.sysadmin] ANATOMY OF A FORGERY

apeed@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Andrew B. Peed) (04/02/88)

	So here I am, sitting at my desk, reading along, and I come across
the following travesty in news.announce.important... Let's take a look,
shall we?

                                         ^^^^^^^
	Right. I think you'll find that MOST people at AT&T can spell.

->From: drm@reserch.uucp (Dennis Ritchie)
                    ^^^^
	How interesting. In every other occurance I've ever seen of that
suffix, it's been in capital letters: .UUCP

->Newsgroups: news.announce.conferences,news.announce.important
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	This was stooopid. n.a.i is, I understand, for announcements pertinent
to the use of Netnews. Even if this "conference" were on the level, I don't
think we'd find an announcement here.

->Subject: First International Conference on Secure Information Systems
	Planck's constant. You call this original?

->Date: 1 Apr 88 00:00:00 GMT
->Expires: 1 May 88 00:00:00 GMT
->Sender: taylor@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	OOOOPSIE!!! Officer, do yer duty.

->FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE  %  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
->
->The System Security Society of Southern Saskatchewan and the University
->of North Saskatechwan, Hoople campus announce the First International
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	I believe you are trying to refer to the University of Southern
North Dakota at Hoople, dweeb. Taking Dennis Ritchie's name in vain was bad
enough, but flubbing the name of that venerable institution which employs
Professor Schickele (CORRECT SPELLING; SEE BELOW) is absolutely unforgivable.

[Various and sundry dribble deleted]

->The Conference will be held March 2 through 4, 1989 on the campus of the
->University of North Saskatechwan in Hoople, Saskatechwan, Canada. Registration
->is $195 until December 1, 1989, $295 afterward. For more information please
->contact Professor Peter Schikele, Department of Computer Science, University
->of North Saskatechwan, Hoople, Saskatechwan, Canada 1Q5 UI9.

All that and he only managed to spell Saskatchewan correctly once.

	April 1st or no, I'm getting bloody well fed up with these farking
forgeries....

                                         Andy

Andrew B. Peed                                        UUCP: ihnp4!ihlpg!apeed
AT&T Bell Laboratories              BITNET: ihnp4!ihlpg!apeed at rutgers.edu