[news.sysadmin] pathalias+smail+bitnet_names=oops

root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) (04/08/88)

I just noticed an interesting possible problem. With smail 2.5
running on my machine, and pathalias generating a pathfile from
the maps in comp.mail.maps, the domain ".edu" is routed through
rutgers at present. Unfortunately, some sites now have domain
style names (e.g. "vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu" with is really
PITTVMS.BITNET) and mail directly to them will be routed through
rutgers... Will rutgers know how to route to such sites? Somehow
I don't expect so...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this, without
explicitly listing every bitnet node in the world in the pathfile?

Jay (Jay.Libove@andrew.cmu.edu  pitt!darth!libove!libove)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (04/09/88)

In article <17@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) writes:
>I just noticed an interesting possible problem. With smail 2.5
>running on my machine, and pathalias generating a pathfile from
>the maps in comp.mail.maps, the domain ".edu" is routed through
>rutgers at present. Unfortunately, some sites now have domain
>style names (e.g. "vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu" with is really
>PITTVMS.BITNET) and mail directly to them will be routed through
>rutgers... Will rutgers know how to route to such sites? Somehow
>I don't expect so...

If those people are doing the right thing then the nameserver for pittsburgh.edu
advertises an MX record for somewhere, 'ang on and I'll check. --

Yes, vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu has an MX record pointing at "vm1.cis ...".

An MX record is something which says -- for this particular domain name,
you should route mail through a particular machine.  And you can have
more than one MX record for a domain name with different preference
levels for each one -- in case the first machine is down a second one
can be tried and so on.

MX records are also used for places that aren't directly on any
of the networks.  For instance, one I had to look up recently
for some reason.  "uop.edu" is the University of the Pacific.
It's a little college in California that's not on anything like
the arpanet or bitnet.  They instead do UUCP with UC Davis to
do their mail traffic.  UC Davis advertises MX records for them
pointing at ucdavis.edu.  I can just send mail to todd@uop.uop.edu
and it'll get to the guy that one of my female friends is flirting
with recently.  And it just works.

--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET