[news.sysadmin] use the news

hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) (03/03/88)

Howdy -

Here's a question (dilemma?) I have that some of you may have done
some thinking about.

Here I am, the unix admin at a medium sized university, (~14,000) and
only about 160 people are using the net (these folks are mostly the
grad students, staff and faculty that were using unix anyway). The people
that DO use the net use it fairly heavily. I advertised the existence of
usenet in our computer center newsletter, but that was kind of like
preaching the gospel to a bunch of clergymen... they are already interested.

What kind of novel ideas does anyone have about getting people who aren't
already interested in unix/usenet/computers to realize what a powerful
resource usenet is?  I am not trying to drum up business/traffic on
usenet because I don't have anything better to do, I just think that it is
a shame that so many people here are missing out on such an important
tool, just because they don't normally use computers and don't realize
what usenet is.

So... have any of you tackled the problem of informing a "general population"
about the power of usenet?

-Mike Marshall     hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu       ...!hubcap!hubcap

russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) (03/05/88)

In article <1063@hubcap.UUCP>, hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
> Here I am, the unix admin at a medium sized university, (~14,000) and
> only about 160 people are using the net...
>
> What kind of novel ideas does anyone have about getting people who aren't
> already interested in unix/usenet/computers to realize what a powerful
> resource usenet is?  I am not trying to drum up business/traffic on
> usenet because I don't have anything better to do, I just think that it is
> a shame that so many people here are missing out on such an important
> tool, just because they don't... realize what usenet is.

In metropolitan New Orleans, we have the same problem Mike reports, only
worse, with only five machines in the entire city on the net and a
readership numbering less than ten people.  People here are not
interested in usenet (or unix, for that matter) because they simply
haven't been exposed to it.  Thanks to those of you who responded to my
recent pleas for email and news links, we now have broader base
connections with the outside world.  However, I would be equally
indebted to anyone who could offer some sales ideas to promote usenet.
--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, POB 306, Metairie, LA 70004
AT&T:   +1 504 456 0001          COMPUSERVE: 72337,3261

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (03/05/88)

In article <1063@hubcap.UUCP>, hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
> Here I am, the unix admin at a medium sized university, (~14,000) and
> only about 160 people are using the net (these folks are mostly the
> grad students, staff and faculty that were using unix anyway). The people
> that DO use the net use it fairly heavily. I advertised the existence of
> usenet in our computer center newsletter, but that was kind of like
> preaching the gospel to a bunch of clergymen... they are already interested.
>
> What kind of novel ideas does anyone have about getting people who aren't
> already interested in unix/usenet/computers to realize what a powerful

I know when I was in school it was all I could do to get the the computer
center to do my assignments, much less do things like read netnews (which
we didn't have, but you get the point).

Since students don't have much time, what kind of .newsrc are you giving
them?  Say a student comes in, is kinda frazzled after having finished his
program, and wants to read the news.  He (she, whatever) starts up the
programs and is overwhelmed by the millions of newsgroups there are.
Seeing that there are just too many to read he gives up and leaves.  How
about giving students a default .newsrc with a subset of the newsgroups
there are.  After they get the hang of things they can add more as they
go along.

--
Michael Sullivan		{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
				{ucbvax|ihnp4|sun}!amdcad!uport!vsi!sullivan

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/05/88)

sullivan@vsi.UUCP writes:
   Since students don't have much time, what kind of .newsrc are you giving
   them?  Say a student comes in, is kinda frazzled after having finished his
   program, and wants to read the news.  He (she, whatever) starts up the
   programs and is overwhelmed by the millions of newsgroups there are.

We give new accounts a prototype .newsrc which has them subscribed to
only the local newsgroups.  We depend on entropy for them to find out
about the rest of the newsgroups. :-)

terrell@musky2.MUSKINGUM.EDU (Roger Terrell) (03/06/88)

In article <1063@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:

>What kind of novel ideas does anyone have about getting people who aren't
>already interested in unix/usenet/computers to realize what a powerful
>resource usenet is?  I am not trying to drum up business/traffic on
>usenet because I don't have anything better to do, I just think that it is
>a shame that so many people here are missing out on such an important
>tool, just because they don't normally use computers and don't realize
>what usenet is.
>
>-Mike Marshall     hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu       ...!hubcap!hubcap

I sympathize completely.  Although Muskingum is not a very large college,
it has proven difficult to get people to use this resource.  We put a
blurb about it in the college computer newsletter, but that didn't do
anything to speak of.

The only way that I have found to get people using it is by word-of-mouth.
Tell friends who are not using it about this neat/useful/fun thing that
you know about.  Some of them will start using it and like it.  Encourage
them to tell their other friends, etc.

Not very practical, but it is slowly doing the job...

--Roger

--

Roger Terrell
Muskingum College			...cbosgd!musky2!terrell (UUCP)

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (03/07/88)

In article <1063@hubcap.UUCP> hubcap@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
>What kind of novel ideas does anyone have about getting people who aren't
>already interested in unix/usenet/computers to realize what a powerful
>resource usenet is?  I am not trying to drum up business/traffic on
>usenet because I don't have anything better to do, I just think that it is
>a shame that so many people here are missing out on such an important
>tool, just because they don't normally use computers and don't realize
>what usenet is.

Agreed.  In fact, access to USENET was one of the big concerns I had
when I was deciding what kind of machine to buy for myself -- one reason
I avoided Intel architectures.  (This was in late '84....)

>So... have any of you tackled the problem of informing a "general population"
>about the power of usenet?

Well, now that I have this wonderful resource -- and rather more
computing power than I am likely to need all to myself -- I give away
logins.

In particular, I have made the offer quite explicit to a couple of
groups: the local chapter of ACM (Association for Computing Machinery),
and my colleagues at work.

The folks in OCACM have not been anywhere near as interested as I
rather thought they would.  Part of this seems to be a case of failure
to get "a round TUIT", but part also seems to be a lack of familiarity
with UNIX (combined with a certain impatience with learning curves).

The folks at work are a rather diverse group.  The ones with the most
technical expertise seem to be the ones that use USENET the most.  (One
of them is logged in on the other MODEM as I write this, and is
undoubtedly running "rn"....)  Some of those who are reasonably
familiar with how to use the system don't seem to have/make time to use
it.  At least one person (a "non-computer type") from work seems to be
overwhelmed by the whole thing.

The case of the technical folks at work is kind of curious -- they
(including my manager, frank@dhw68k.cts.com) seem to have become quite
"taken" with USENET... to the point that they want me to find some way
to link the IBM box at work (running MVS -- and no asynchronous ports
available on the 3725) to the net.

Well, I've rambled a lot....  I guess the only point I have (other than
pleading for help with the concerns of the immediately preceding
paragraph) is that there is a perception of a very steep learning curve
for making use of USENET -- and whether the curve is, in fact, steep or
is not, it's the *perception* that matters... at first, anyway.

Note that this is the case even with "computer types" -- the limited
experience I have had with "non-computer types" indicates that (for the
most part), the learning curve is perceived as even steeper.

Any other experiences...?

david
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com

tmanos@aocgl.UUCP (Theodore W. Manos) (03/08/88)

WHY does everybody put notices of the availability of USENET in the COMPUTER
newspaper/bulletin???  Hell, the people that read THAT are probably already
aware of USENET availability.  Put it in the SCHOOL newspaper, where the NON-
computer types can read about it.  Who knows, you might even pick up a few
non-nerds along the way :-).
-> Theodore (Ted) W. Manos                tmanos@aocgl.{UUCP,uunet.UU.NET}
   Alpha Omega Consulting Group, LTD      ...!{uunet,mcdchg}!aocgl!tmanos
   400 Springhill Drive, Roselle, IL  60172
   Mobile: +1 312 590-0298  (auto-fwd to office if I'm not in)

"Don't take life TOO seriously - you'll never get out of it alive anyhow."
************************ DISCLAIM WHAT? **********************************
*  My company agrees with my views completely - I hold all of the stock! *

sweissm@pacsbb.UUCP (Steve Weissman) (04/08/88)

In article <369@wpg.UUCP>, russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:

> > What kind of novel ideas does anyone have about getting people who aren't
> > already interested in unix/usenet/computers to realize what a powerful
> > resource usenet is?  I am not trying to drum up business/traffic on
> > usenet because I don't have anything better to do, I just think that it is
> > a shame that so many people here are missing out on such an important
> > tool, just because they don't... realize what usenet is.

The Philadelphia Area Computer Society (PACS) launched a Unix-based
BBS a year ago to promote better communications between our large
membership and more than 30 Special Interst Groups (SIGS). Most of
our members have no interest in Unix (yet!), although we have a small
but active Unix SIG. We put together home-grown software that offered
some custom features for our needs, as well as the usual public messages
and file downloadings that characterize most "BBS's".

Our members are issued accounts on our system, which run a BBS main menu
as a shell for member logins (no Unix savvy required).  The interface to
private mail, including uucp-style addresses, is transparent to the "BBS"
mail front end.

About 3 months ago, we got netnews 2.11B software working on our
4-line dial-in system, and put together a series of shell scripts
that allow users to read "all news" or "Specific newsgroups",
and automatically maintain a subscription list which can be
erased to re-initialize, or disabled ( "-x" option of readnews), based
on simple menu choices.  In other words, we traded off some nice
features for a fairly simple interface to readnews and vnews.  I also
added a "T"ips command that displays a few pages of fast advice to a
first-time user concerning the mechanics of news-reading.

The real challange, as other articles have mentioned, is publicity
and motivation.  In our case, we prepared a one-page handout summarizing
a few neat features of Usenet (stressing mainly the non-technical
topics in English), and have been writing a series of gung-ho articles
for  our monthly newsletter.  At a recent Computer Festival geared to the
general public, we ran demonstrations of Usenet.  All of this has generated
a modest groundswell of interest (we're up to 100 regular readers after 2 m
onths).  The best publicity, however, came when I forced a sign-on bulletin
for all BBS users that said:
>>>  The 200 articles on basketball in rec.sport.basketball
>>>  probably won't interest anyone.  Basketball is a silly game.
THAT got some attention!

   Steve Weissman, PACS VP and pacsbb system administrator
   uucp:   {ihnp4,att-cb,rutgers}!{bpa,cbmvax}!temvax!pacsbb!sweissm

Lee_-_Wells@cup.portal.com (04/13/88)

well i can only call myself a 'small time' user of usenet in fact this
will be the first time i have successfully posted a message (i hope)
i don't even have a unix system (i do have a pdp11/23 i am trying to
get unix for however) i personally cannot even find the fabled usenet tape!
i mean someone besides mike horton is bound to have one right? i mean how
can people use the news if they can't get the program for the news??? i
don't know if 'stargate' puts usenet on shortwave or if i am just dreaming
all this.....
I know someone is going to say there is a group for just what i need to know
news.admin.setup or something...but i can't even find it...i don't know
if portal gets all the groups, i don't understand the commands, and i don't
even know if usenet is user friendly or not (but i do know one cannot type
help anywhere and expect to get it)

in short i think the best way to get people to use the news is to make it
useable (i have very little trouble with VAX VMS) and maybe just maybe
tell people where they can find the usenet tape, and you might open up
a few more nodes.

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/14/88)

In article <4446@cup.portal.com> Lee_-_Wells@cup.portal.com writes:
>... tell people where they can find the usenet tape ...

I don't know what tape you're looking for, but you can get news
version 2.11, plus 14 patches, from osu-cis via UUCP.  Drop me a line
if you'd like instructions.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!att!osu-cis!bob