[news.sysadmin] Binary groups need their own hierarchy

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (05/20/88)

In article <5284@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
>I have also been thinking carefully about the binary problem, and
>have come to the same conclusion.

Me too!

> If we were to put binaries in
> their own top level heirarchy, we would:
>1) Eliminate a lot of the clutter in the comp. heirarchy
>2) Allow easier segregation of binaries to those sites that wish
>   to carry them.
>3) Quite possibly, simplify archival and expiration.

There maybe more reasons, the 3 above should suffice to start
some action.

>I think it may be
>time to split comp. into comp. for technical ascii discussions,
>and bin. for binaries.

All of the above seem very excllent suggestions to me.

Okay so when do we start voting on the binary hierachy and who will
collect votes? I guess we need some discussion time to decide on some
appropriate names, etc.

Hmmm...how about bin.ibm.pc
		 bin.your.favorite.box
		 and so on...

--
sharan kalwani, vax facility, mcf, 110 east warren avenue, detroit mi 48201
usenet  : ...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu, ihnp4!mibte}!mcf!shan