[news.sysadmin] JJ's Revenge -- Part II

jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) (05/31/88)

[World distribution, but that's what the "original" message was.  Sorry
about that.]

He's back!!!!

First it was the "Terror of Portal"!  Now its the "Scourge of Cleveland"!
What's next, the "Curse of Chinet"???   [ semi :-) ]

You've all seen the message before, so there's no need to repeat it. I fear
this is the start of another epidemic.  Here are the headers from this latest
net.infestation:
[I "folded" lines longer than 80 characters]

From article <7823@ncoast.UUCP>, by jayorr@ncoast.UUCP (Jay Orr):

>From: jayorr@ncoast.UUCP (Jay Orr)
>Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies,rec.arts.sf-lovers,rec.arts.startrek,rec.arts.tv,\
>rec.arts.wobegon,rec.audio,rec.autos,rec.autos.tech,rec.aviation,rec.food.drink
>Subject: HELP ME!!!
>Date: 30 May 88 00:33:58 GMT
>
>Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(

I have already send a long e-mail letter to usenet, news, postmaster, and
root at ncoast asking that they investigate this situation and report back
to these newsgroups.

Is this really JJ, Part II?  How many *other* "public access" news sites
are there out there that he can pervert?
[Chinet:  Are you listening?  Does this "person" have an account on
	  *your* system?]
--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire
--

daniel@unicom.UUCP (Dan "clip Bush in 88..." Smith) (06/01/88)

In article <5927@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) writes:

>He's back!!!!
>
>First it was the "Terror of Portal"!  Now its the "Scourge of Cleveland"!
>What's next, the "Curse of Chinet"???   [ semi :-) ]

	Arggh... This is just my 2 cents, I really hope this whole thing
dies down soon.

	The Portal can't be held responsible for what goes out of their
system, but they're responsible for how they followup when one of their
users, er, uh, f-x up. I think they've done fine, considering the
circumstances. Hopefully ncoast will handle the situation appropriately,
and will post a proper net map entry (with an electronic tip of my hat
to Mr. Eric Fair :-).

	Now, as for JJ, I hope the IRS catches up to you, for starters.
They're always *real* interested in people who suddenly accumulate money.
Perhaps the (fictional?) school you go to should get wind of this mess
you have made for yourself, as well - it doesn't reflect well on them.
I have my own long drawn out college student story, complete with
a really serious student loan payback situation that I need to take care of.
I'm taking time off of school to work, and am learning all kinds of things
at Island that I'd never learn at school, bla bla bla. The point is
that there are *thousands* of us on the net that have to put of our "official"
college education for a while, in order to deal with "real life" (food,
rent, and so on). You sure didn't present your cause effectively, or to
the right audience! Get a grip, get a job, but don't grovel.

				dan

dan smith, island graphics, marin co, ca, good natured infonaut, hoopy frood
4000 civic center dr., san rafael 94903 | dis: they're solely my opinions...
uucp: {ucbvax!ucbcad,sun}!island!daniel | ph: +1 (415) 491 1000 (W), 332 FAST,
uucp: {pacbell,pixar}!unicom!daniel     | 332 EASY (H)| unix/films/rock/feasts

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (06/01/88)

Does anyone know if the FCC would be interested in JJ?  He is using
stuff regulated by them to continue his scam.
--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

todd@uop.edu (Dr. Nethack) (06/01/88)

In article <1236@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

> Does anyone know if the FCC would be interested in JJ?  He is using
> stuff regulated by them to continue his scam.

Well, it is a whole lot easier than that.  Just put an ad in the
classifieds of Soldier of Fortune.  That ought to generate some
persons interested in the "rmuser" procedure.

Of course it will cost.. so if you just all send a dollar to this
p.o. box.....   ;-)

               --Don't even reply..it is not worth it!
+ uop!todd@uunet.uu.net                                               +
+                 cogent!uop!todd@lll-winken.arpa                     +
+                                 {backbone}!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!todd  +

rroot@edm.UUCP (Stephen Samuel) (06/02/88)

From article <5927@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, by jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,):
> [World distribution, but that's what the "original" message was.  Sorry
> about that.]
>
> He's back!!!!

stuff it: Sue the bastard with a class action lawsuit for breach of trust
  (do you know of anyone who could give a cheap opinion on this?? I live in
canada).  Usenet survives on trust, and this jerk is blowing that trust
all to hell.
--
-------------
 Stephen Samuel

adf@uisc1.UUCP (Andre Franklin) (06/05/88)

In article <3129@edm.UUCP>, rroot@edm.UUCP writes:

> > He's back!!!!
>
> stuff it: Sue the bastard with a class action lawsuit for breach of trust
>   (do you know of anyone who could give a cheap opinion on this?? I live in
> canada).  Usenet survives on trust, and this jerk is blowing that trust
> all to hell.

Do everybody a favor and, if you absolutely HAVE TO post on subjects you
know nothing about, read up on them first. The legal concept of trust may
be based on the concept of trusting someone, but that's about all. You
can't sue someone for breach of trust because you can't trust him.

Sheesh!

meg@chinet.UUCP (Meg Geddes) (06/07/88)

In article <5927@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) writes:

>He's back!!!!
>
>First it was the "Terror of Portal"!  Now its the "Scourge of Cleveland"!
>What's next, the "Curse of Chinet"???   [ semi :-) ]

uh....  beg pardon ??

>Is this really JJ, Part II?  How many *other* "public access" news sites
>are there out there that he can pervert?
>[Chinet:  Are you listening?  Does this "person" have an account on
>	  *your* system?]

Could be.  So what?  He/She might have an account on M-Net, or Igloo or
ddsw1, or any number of systems.  That's what *PUBLIC* access is all about.

Personally, I'm rather curious as to whether or not it worked (whether he
got any money)

--
        Meg Geddes - Chinet Public Access Unix - Chicago, Illinois
        {ihnp4|att}!chinet!meg    CHINET WOMEN WILL INHERIT THE EARTH

        Don't take life so seriously... it ain't nohow permanent...