[news.sysadmin] JJ's phone number

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (05/28/88)

In article <5954@cup.portal.com> Customer_Portal_Service@cup.portal.com writes:
>... call JJ yourself.  You can reach him as:
>	Rob Noha (aka JJ)
(phone number deleted)
>BTW, we have terminated his account on Portal.  You can send him mail
>but he'll never get to read it.

Was that really nec'y?  Does this reflect the policy of Portal Communications?
I don't know if you've broken any laws, but you've instantly assured that I
would *NEVER* do business with you.

JJ was a world-class jerk, who deserves to have hot maple syrup poured down
his pants, or much, much worse.  However, he does *NOT* deserve to have his
home telephone number posted to USENET.  This is impropriety of the gravest
sort.

I suggest you send out a cancel message, and hope that JJ doesn't sue you.

Disclaimer: not the opinions of my employer or anyone else but me.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

Customer_Portal_Service@cup.portal.com (05/28/88)

Paul Vixie (vixie@dec.com) writes:
>Was that really nec'y?  [...] He does *NOT* deserve to have his
>home telephone number posted to USENET.  This is impropriety of the gravest
>sort.

First, JJ (aka Rob Noha) used his real name on at least one of his messages.
He also provided his address, and is listed with information.  We did not
provide any information that is not readily available to the general
public.  A pseudonym on Portal (such as JJ) is a convenience, not a way
to hide one's identity.

Second, we receive a number of inquiries about JJ.  Enquiring minds
wanted to know: Where did he go to college?  Does he really own a BMW?
Are jobs scarce in Nebraska?  As you probably know, JJ no longer has an
account with Portal.  Since people could not ask these questions via
mail, it seemed reasonable to provide a way for people to contact him.
If you move, the Post Office and the phone company (and your current
employer, I bet) will tell callers how to reach you.

It seems ironic that Portal gets flamed for permitting JJ to (in our
opinion) deliberately abuse the net, then also gets flamed for not
protecting him from the consequences of his actions.

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (05/30/88)

In article <6013@cup.portal.com> Customer_Portal_Service@cup.portal.com writes:
>First, JJ (aka Rob Noha) used his real name on at least one of his messages.
>He also provided his address, and is listed with information.  We did not
>provide any information that is not readily available to the general
>public.  A pseudonym on Portal (such as JJ) is a convenience, not a way
>to hide one's identity.

Understood.  As I've pointed out to someone @Portal in e-mail, however, it
reflects poorly on Portal's professional image that they supplied the number.
I don't know if Portal's user contract states that users' real names and
phone numbers can be given out by Portal without specific permission -- if
it doesn't, you may still find yourself the target of a complaint.  (I would
prefer to see Portal's policy change such that no pseudonyms were allowed at
all...)

>If you move, the Post Office and the phone company (and your current
>employer, I bet) will tell callers how to reach you.

Actually, no.  Employers (at least here in the valley) are taken to court
regularly by "disgruntled former employees" who feel that the company's
personnel department slandered them unfairly in the process of providing
a reference.  I think it's both sad and silly, but such are the times.

The Post Office won't tell anyone how to reach you unless you specifically
file a request.  Likewise the phone company.  You can sometimes get a court
order to release the information, but even that is sometimes not possible.
(This probably varies from area to area, but I know what things are like in
this regard around here.)

assistance will provide the number, I retract my earlier complaint -- you
provided no information that wasn't available without your aid.  I thought
you had, since you didn't say "this information is already available but
we're saving you the trouble of dialing directory assistance."  My apologies.

>It seems ironic that Portal gets flamed for permitting JJ to (in our
>opinion) deliberately abuse the net, then also gets flamed for not
>protecting him from the consequences of his actions.

I would never ask anyone to protect JJ from the consequences of his actions.
He is an asshole and he deserves to suffer.  I was angry only because it
seemed that you had broken a confidence -- which would have been as wrong
as anything JJ did.

I guess we're all sick of this issue now, right?  Okay, I'll shut up.
--

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (05/31/88)

In article <6013@cup.portal.com> Customer_Portal_Service@cup.portal.com writes:
>Paul Vixie (vixie@dec.com) writes:
>>Was that really nec'y?  [...] He does *NOT* deserve to have his
>>home telephone number posted to USENET.  This is impropriety of the gravest
>>sort.
>
>If you move, the Post Office and the phone company (and your current
>employer, I bet) will tell callers how to reach you.

This is not entirely true.  Court mail, for some reason unknown to me is
*NOT* forwarded even if you leave the Post Office a forwarding address.
I speak from experience here, it almost got me in a whole lot of trouble,
one time.

I agree that publishing #1 bozo's home phone number without his permission
was the wrong thing to do.  Two wrongs still don't make a right.

--
John "C". Sucilla
  {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs

Ilan@cup.portal.com (06/01/88)

1144.3.284.3        Re: JJ's phone number
5/29/88 02:31       thad@cup.portal.com         writes:

>Whoa!  PORTAL mgt did a service by posting his (JJ's) real name and etc.

JJ or Jay Orr or any other HELP requestor is really: ROB NOHA
                                                                                    (402)488-2586
Call him. He`ll like it.

>The moment I saw that name (Rob Noha) I was instantly reminded of similar
>scams, chain letters, and other such garbage that clown posted to several
>BBS systems I operate in Silicon Valley.

>That guy (Rob Noha) is obviously (my opinion) a con artist to the nth degree.

>Noha has been doing similar things for at LEAST 2 years, so his recent
>Usenet posting is NOT a first-time "offense".

>For those who don't know, PORTAL is one of the few public-access systems to
>Usenet (the only other one that comes to mind is The WELL).  PORTAL has some
>11-20 local telephone lines (lucky for me! :-) and some 50+ incoming Telenet
>and PC Pursuit lines (thus permitting access by clients across the USA).  In
>addition to providing Usenet (and other) access, PORTAL operates private and
>public BBS and message areas for numerous corporate and special interest
>group clients.

>At a flat $10/month, any baud, any time of day, any session duration, PORTAL
>is a unique service unmatched by anything else (available to the "public").

>I'm with a multi-million $$$ a year company, and we CANNOT afford our own
>Usenet "node", and I and thousands of others NEED the communication facilities
>provided to us at a fair price by PORTAL.

>PORTAL's credo is "everyone is responsible for their own actions and deeds."

>Noha (aka J-J) is obviously a miscreant, one person out of the thousands who
>are PORTAL subscribers.  From posted statements, HE (Noha) has been punished.

>If you are favoring the doctrine of "prior restraint", I suggest you crawl
>back to the fantasy world of Orwell's `1984' with their Thought Police,
>thoughtcrimes, etc.

>Your (and others') beef is with Rob Noha.  Thanks to PORTAL Management's
>posting, you can contact Noha directly and reduce net bandwidth.

>As a satisfied customer of PORTAL, I believe you owe PORTAL Communications
>an apology.

>Would you have ceased using the system from which you posted your flame had
>Noha posted from there?  ("If thy hand offends thee, ... "  :-)

>Thad Floryan  (thad@cup.portal.com  [or]  ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad)

I hope all you net readers read the above, there are MANY more testimonials
regarding this guy from reliable sources  !!!   LET THE BUYER BEWARE !!!!

                     - Ilan Rabinowitz -
                     Ilan@cup.portal.com

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (06/04/88)

In article <6013@cup.portal.com> Customer_Portal_Service@cup.portal.com writes:
>....  A pseudonym on Portal (such as JJ) is a convenience, not a way
>to hide one's identity.

Huh?  Give me that again?  Other than being a convenient way to hide one's
identity, what other sort of convenience is it?

>It seems ironic that Portal gets flamed for permitting JJ to (in our
>opinion) deliberately abuse the net, then also gets flamed for not
>protecting him from the consequences of his actions.

Last time I looked, two wrongs *still* did not make a right!

Your action was not "not protecting him", it was deliberately throwing a
customer to the wolves.

Now *you* probably think that he should pay the consequences, I know *I*
think that he should pay *some* consequences, and probably *everybody*
thinks that he should ...., but somehow the behaviour of Portal in this
whole affair does not smell too good.

The fact is, JJ took advantage of facilities *you* offered him, and which he
payed for (?), and which you presumably do not monitor too closely.

I even got a Bad Feeling reading all the obviously Low Key specific
but I would have felt happier if they had been hands-in-the-air-horror
broadcast far and wide!  There was something contrived there.

Readers:

Frankly I don't think any fraud was involved, the guy was just panhandling.

My reaction when I saw the posting was concern for the amount of flame
traffic it was going to generate, not too much concern over the posting
itself - that was trivial to handle, the 'n' key did it, although several
times were required - a minor irritant, I must admit.

The sanctimonious outpouring from the net.names lived up to expectations!
We n'd over more *copies* of the posting in the outcry than were originally
posted!

Why are we always so surprised when this sort of inevitability happens?  The
net is *wide open* to such abuses, and sites like Portal's mean that
accountability on the part of their users is about nil.  They just lose
their account - do I hear a faint "Big Deal!" from JJ as he drives away in
his supposed BMW?

So, if as a community we cannot accept jj.behaviour, then perhaps the
accountability should be directed towards the *site*.

I do believe that we should question whether *uncontrolled* access to USENET
should be allowed by general public-access sites, particularly those who
make profits out of that access to USENET.

Portal, by deliberately publishing the guy's name and telephone number, have
attempted to divert attention which was turning towards *them*.

Well, my reaction is - let's take an even closer look at them, and their
ilk, on USENET.

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!{philabs, mnetor}!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (06/06/88)

In article <1098@micomvax.UUCP> ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:
>>....  A pseudonym on Portal (such as JJ) is a convenience, not a way
>>to hide one's identity.

>Huh?  Give me that again?  Other than being a convenient way to hide one's
>identity, what other sort of convenience is it?

A great many universities and companies let people choose their own
username for their account, right?

A great many of these machines have the standard Berkeley utility
"chfn," right?

Sorry, pal. Portal ain't by no means the only place with pseudonyms.
--
Bill Wisner
..!{ames,att,decwrl,ihnp4,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!wisner

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (06/10/88)

In article <4370@killer.UUCP> wisner@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
 >In article <1098@micomvax.UUCP> ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) writes:

Portal:
 >>> A pseudonym on Portal (such as JJ) is a convenience, not a way
 >>> to hide one's identity.

Ray Dunn:
 >> Huh?  Give me that again?  Other than being a convenient way to hide one's
 >>identity, what other sort of convenience is it?

Bill Wisner:
 >Sorry, pal. Portal ain't by no means the only place with pseudonyms.

Bill is indeed 100% correct, I know not why he apologizes!

It is also 100% a fact that I never suggested for a second that they were.
Aha!  Perhaps there lies the reason for the apology! (:-).

Read it again!  I only questioned, and still do, Portal's assertion that a
pseudonym is some sort of convenience *other* than to hide one's identity
(on *their* system, on *my* system, on *any* system!)

--

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (06/13/88)

Ray Dunn writes:
>Read it again!  I only questioned, and still do, Portal's assertion that a
>pseudonym is some sort of convenience *other* than to hide one's identity
>(on *their* system, on *my* system, on *any* system!)

I'm on Portal (because it's cheaper than long distance phone calls I
used to rely on). Portal provides pseudonym's as a tool. Some users may
use them to hide their identity. Others do not. What other purpose could
they possibly serve? Well, for brain-damaged reasons, they require me
to give them a middle name for my account logon. So by default my
name in my postings would be "doug-rands-merritt", which I don't care
for. So I'm pleased to use psuedonyms to change it to "doug-merritt".

Yep, hiding my identity...until now, no one knew my middle name!!!

Other people on the system (most of whom do not use Usenet) use psuedonyms
to be "cute", a popular pastime on BBS's. Like "BornBlonde" and "Wizard"
and "IBMtoTheEnd" etc etc. In the world of bulletin boards, this use
of psuedonyms is more the rule than the exception. It's just part of the
culture. A few people misuse it, most do not. A very few, like me, buck
the trend on BBS's, and get a reputation for being no fun, or uncreative,
for using our real names.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but it seems to me that to judge Portal
by JJ's postings is naive, narrow minded, and rude. JJ is a fradulent
asshole who accomplishes his devious ends on many systems other than
Portal. What's that got to do with everyone else???

Maybe the problem is simply lack of clarification: unlike many Usenet
sites, Portal is a commercial *bulletin board*, which just happens to
be connected to Usenet. It is based on a network of Suns running Unix,
but the Unix layer is 100% unavailable to customers. So as far as
what is reasonable to provide to their customers, the answer is: BBS-oriented
services. And that creates a very different context than the Usenet sites,
commercial or not, which provide a Unix interface.
	Doug
--
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)

wpohl@hvrunix.UUCP (Walter E. Pohl) (06/14/88)

     It's true that the outpouring of complaint propogated more copies of JJ's message than his original message did,  but it seems that, according to Portal
and the evidence they have, the guy wasn't just panhandling, but the postings
were some kind of joke.  JJ is probably just as responsible for the outcry as
he is for the original post.  The response of the net was predictable, and JJ
should have realized this would cause a hue and cry.  On top of the fact that
bit about needing money from college is apparently not true, and his actions
become indefensible.
	Portal isn't unique in the lack of monitering.  Here at Haverford, we'renot monitered any more than portal.  And I don't see why that is necessarily a
bad thing.  How often do people run amok with their net.privileges?  Not all
that often, as far as I can see.  There is no special morality that the rest
of us gains from being connected with a university or industry.  JJ ran amok
not because he  was a Portal user, but because he was JJ.

	walt

olapw@olgb1.oliv.co.uk (Tony Walton) (06/17/88)

Ranting deleted.....

> JJ was a world-class jerk, who deserves to have hot maple syrup poured down
> his pants, or much, much worse.  However, he does *NOT* deserve to have his
> home telephone number posted to USENET.  This is impropriety of the gravest

More ranting deleted.....

Unless JJ is *very* small he'd have problems living in the modem attached
to that number
--
Tony Walton, OEM/VAR Division, British Olivetti Ltd., Wellington House,
154-160 Upper Richmond Road, London, England SW15 2FN