[news.sysadmin] sendsys

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (06/22/88)

In article <3071@rpp386.UUCP>, root@rpp386.UUCP (Super user) writes:
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     [well actually, anyone who uses news software while running as root
      can probably better be said ``to scrawl.'']

> In article <net.rarebit.4@rutgers.edu>, webber@rutgers.edu (Net.Rarebit) writes:
> ] Newsgroups: news.admin.ctl
> ] Subject: sendsys
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ too short for a standard rutgers message id

> hey, mel - ...

Mel is at Usenix in California.  Apparently you aren't though.  Just
sitting home and bored huh.  [Shuffle list of suspects.]

> needless to say, webber should be emptying out his mailbox for years to

Hardly.  So far, less than a megabyte of mail has come in.  Since the
unix mail program allows one to delete message numbers by range (and
save in a similar manner), the roughly 300 messages I have recieved so
far have been rather easy to handle (fortunately, I am on a system with
a reasonable amount of disk space and cpu).

Of course, since rutgers generates a message informing the sender that
webber@rutgers.edu is no longer an appropriate mail address (rutgers
is a communications machine whose name used to be an alias for a now
deceased dec-20 but is now being reused for other purposes), the
systems that have to pay for the 1.5 meg of mail (including those
return notifications) this has generated so far are the real victims
of this.

> come!  unless this is a forgery, in which case, Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!  looks

Well, clearly it is a forgery.  It is also easy to prove that it was
not generated at any of the local machines.  The first time I had to
deal with a burst of a hundred mail messages in one day (over a year
ago), it was a bit time consuming, but now it is rather easy.  The big
trick is to treat your mail as a textfile instead of using the mail
interface.  Both the standard mail and the standard news interfaces
seem to fall apart when the flow gets high, but the standard unix file
manipulation tools step in rather well (if you have enough cpu to let
them run).

> like it came in at husc6.  here's the paths i saw:
>
> rpp386!dalsqnt!pollux!killer!osu-cis!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!bloom-beacon!\
> 	husc6!bbn!uwmcsd1!ig!agate!pasteur!ames!rutgers!webber

Actually, agate (presumably agate.berkeley.edu) is the common
denominator to all of the paths I have seen.  Of course, anyone
could fake a message off such a site -- so a more interesting
source of people to look at are those who have posted messages
complaining about the net.rarebit postings.  Of course, it could
even have been done by a backbone member.

----- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

P.S., so far I have been saving all of these messages since they do actually
contain some interesting information about how news flows through the system.
Anyone who has anonymous ftp access and is interested in them should
let me know.  It will be a while before I get around to writing the
scripts necessary to analyze the contents of all of these sendsys files.