[news.sysadmin] HDB uustat

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (07/19/88)

This certainly isn't about uucp mail, nor is it in the core of system
administration, but I didn't know where else to ask.  I'm using HDB
uucp on a '286 no-name clone and I have a problem with uustat, maybe
someone can tell me where else to look.

I run the cleanup script each day, pretty much unchanged from the
stock script as distributed.  Last week (today is Monday, I think
it was Wednesday) I was puttering around and decided to see if rutgers'
shiny new Sun 4 was any different from their old system.  I had a
problem sending into the old one.  The uucico session got wedged and
so I killed the process and scrapped the files I was going to send and
sent them another way.  Now, several days later, after everything has had
plenty of time to get out of the uucp directories I still get

rutgers		Locked

in my uustat -m display.  There's nothing in .Admin, .Status, .Log, .Old,
or any of the directories that have anything to do with rutgers.  I even
went so far as to delete rutgers from .Sequence but I can't get rid of
that status line.  Where is it coming from?  If it's someplace in the
/usr/spool/uucp heirarchy I'll just go fall on my sword because I have not
found it.  Many thanks for your wisdom, where should I have posted this
anyway?
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill

jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) (07/20/88)

In article <126@carpet.WLK.COM> bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>After polling rutgers and killing the process I still get
>rutgers		Locked
>in my uustat -m display.  Where is it coming from?

Betcha you've got a file /usr/spool/locks/LCK..rutgers.
It might be in /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..rutgers, but you say
that you've checked there. It's the machine's lockfile.
If you poll rutgers again with debug on then you'll see it
testing the lockfile for validity (there's a PID inside it)
and then deleting it and creating a new one.

comp.mail.uucp was 'the right choice'... (sorry, couldn't resist).
--
Jonathan Clark		jonathan@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan
Any affiliation is given for identification purposes only.

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.