[news.sysadmin] Limiting Distribution

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/23/88)

In article <10349@ncc.Nexus.CA>, lyndon@ncc.Nexus.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> Given that this discussion is about the .US domain, could everyone
> please put a USA distribution on it? Thanks.

I disagree;   If I was outside the US-domain, I would still be interested
in this discussion, for several reasons:

- I would learn things that might be useful in the implementation of the		(non-US) domain I happen to be in.

- as I'd be sending mail into the US-domain, it would help me understand
	what happened to it, when it comes bouncing back and I need to
	figure out how to overcome whatever causes it (sound familiar?)

- This new country-domain concept hasn't been explained or discussed in any
	public group before (that I remember), so it is an interesting
	case-study ...

- I much rather prefer that "too much" information is available (within
	reason), and that I am allowed to filter it, rather than that
	someone else does the filtering for me ...

- I'd find it highly desirable if European (and other areas) groups were
	available for me to read here in the US, at least the technical
	ones.  How else is one to keep in touch with things when one goes
	on an overseas assignment?  Would anyone care to guess of how much
	bandwidth is being wasted by articles being forwarded by personal
	Email?  it all goes through mcvax anyway, it seems ...

I rest my case - I'm sure that more could be said...
send Email to:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
		  .....!cs.utexas.edu!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
alternative:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu  or werner@utastro.UUCP