[news.sysadmin] How does "routing" responsibility work?

pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) (07/21/88)

I may be wrong about this,  but I was under the impression that any
gateway into a domain is responsible for being able to connect to (or at
least route to) any other host in that domain.

How does one take (the simplest example) mail from:
	foo.la.ca.us to bar.la.ca.us

Assuming foo does not know about bar?  Do we then pass the mail back
up to the "ca" router and it finds & computes a new path to bar?
--
Paul Traina	- {uunet|pyramid}!comdesign!pst - comdesign!pst@pyramid.com

To believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all
men,  that is genius.

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill "Spam Eggs Sausage and Spam" Wisner) (07/21/88)

The US domain has no gateways. killer.dallas.tx.us is really more of a long
hostname than a domain. We do get the advantages of an Internet MX forwarder
(or five), though.

foo.la.ca.us would send mail to bar.la.ca.us just like foo would send mail to
bar. If both are UUCP hosts, which is likely, than it can be assumed
that pathalias routing will do the trick. Internet sites running decent,
newer mailers will have no problem getting mail to sites in the US domain.
For example, killer's primary MX forwarder is ames.arc.nasa.gov; a good
version of sendmail would find that MX record and send mail for killer
through ames. ames does the rest.
--
Bill Wisner
wisner@killer.dallas.tx.us

mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) (07/22/88)

In article <397@comdesign.UUCP> pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) writes:
>I may be wrong about this,  but I was under the impression that any
>gateway into a domain is responsible for being able to connect to (or at
>least route to) any other host in that domain.
>
>How does one take (the simplest example) mail from:
>	foo.la.ca.us to bar.la.ca.us
>
>Assuming foo does not know about bar?  Do we then pass the mail back
>up to the "ca" router and it finds & computes a new path to bar?

In this particular case, foo does not need to know about bar, but the
domain naming conventions state that the site listed to the right of
a dot in a domain style adress knows how to get the the site
immediately to the left of the dot.  (This is a bit of a generalization,
but it will work for the current discussion...) Therefore '.us' can get to
'.ca', '.ca' can get to '.la' and '.la' can get to 'bar'.  In your example,
'.la' also knows how to get to 'foo'.  Therefore, the mail should only
have to go up to the server for '.la.ca.us' and then back down to
'bar' if 'foo' and 'bar' do not have a link.

Given the following example,

	foo.sf.ca.us to bar.la.ca.us

The mail would have to take the following route (assuming, of course, that
foo and bar do not have a direct connection, and that bar and sf.ca.us
don't have a direct connection):

    foo.sf.ca.us -> sf.ca.us -> ca.us -> la.ca.us -> bar.la.ca.us

This is the beauty of hierarchical namespace, connections to lower
level domains are gaurenteed (well, assuming machines are up :-).  The
difficulties come in when you branch across top level domains (i.e. mail
from foo.la.ca.us to jhereg.mn.org).  In this case, all top level servers
know how to get to all other top level servers.  So in the example
above, us knows how to get mail to org, who then passes it down to
mn.org and finally to jhereg.mn.org.

--
Mark H. Colburn           mark@jhereg.mn.org, ..!chinet!jhereg!mark

        They didn't understand a different kind of smack was needed,
           than the back of a hand, something was always needed.

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (William C. Fenner) (07/22/88)

In article <309@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG> mark@clout.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) writes:
|In article <397@comdesign.UUCP> pst@comdesign.uucp (Paul Traina) writes:
|>I may be wrong about this,  but I was under the impression that any
|>gateway into a domain is responsible for being able to connect to (or at
|>least route to) any other host in that domain.
|>
|>How does one take (the simplest example) mail from:
|>	foo.la.ca.us to bar.la.ca.us
|>
|>Assuming foo does not know about bar?  Do we then pass the mail back
|>up to the "ca" router and it finds & computes a new path to bar?
|
|Given the following example,
|
|	foo.sf.ca.us to bar.la.ca.us
|
|The mail would have to take the following route (assuming, of course, that
|foo and bar do not have a direct connection, and that bar and sf.ca.us
|don't have a direct connection):
|
|    foo.sf.ca.us -> sf.ca.us -> ca.us -> la.ca.us -> bar.la.ca.us
|
|This is the beauty of hierarchical namespace, connections to lower
|level domains are gaurenteed (well, assuming machines are up :-).  The
|difficulties come in when you branch across top level domains (i.e. mail
|from foo.la.ca.us to jhereg.mn.org).  In this case, all top level servers
|know how to get to all other top level servers.  So in the example
|above, us knows how to get mail to org, who then passes it down to
|mn.org and finally to jhereg.mn.org.

But the problem is, who is going to be sf.ca.us, ca.us, and la.ca.us?
I would think that most of the machines in .us would be personal machines,
because those are the ones that mostly don't fit.  Let's say I decided to
register my machine under .us.  I would be hogbbs.SCL.PA.US or something
like that.  Now, let's say I'm the only machine in PA under .US, let alone
State College.  So who do I pass to?  I have to be scl.pa.us as well as
pa.us.  And is there (going to be?) a US machine that is at the top of
the .US domain?

  Bill
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     |
   Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                      |        This space

matt@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (Ka Kahula) (07/25/88)

I see some misinformation floating around news.sysadmin which I want
to correct.

If a host with a name like w.x.y.z exists, there need not be any
hosts with the names x.y.z, y.z, or z.  There will generally be a
name server FOR the domain z, and possibly some subdomains of z, but
those name servers need not be within the domain z.

Examples:  tycho.yerkes.uchicago.edu exists and is the primary name
server for domain yerkes.uchicago.edu.  However, there is NO HOST
with the name yerkes.uchicago.edu, nor uchicago.edu, nor edu.  Name
servers for these DOMAINS do exist, but the names of the servers are
not identical to the names of the domains.

Host clout.chi.il.us exists, but there are neither hosts called
chi.il.us and il.us nor name servers for such domains.  Name servers
for us exist, but they are not themselves in domain us.  Those
servers COULD choose to give away authority for some subdomain(s) of
us, but they do not, in fact, do so.

When a random internet host a.b.c.edu (which uses the domain lookup
system) wants to send mail to clout.chi.il.us, it does not pass the
message up and down some ladder of hosts, but rather it tries to find
the correct "mail exchanger" (MX).  If a.b.c.edu does not already
have any information cached about the us domain, it will ask a "root"
server "Who are the MXs for clout.chi.il.us".  It will not get a
direct answer but will be told "The NSs (name servers) for us are
venera.isi.edu and vaxa.isi.edu".  a.b.c.edu will then repeat its
query to one of those servers, getting the reply, "There is one MX
for clout.chi.il.us with preference level of 10 and name
oddjob.uchicago.edu".  a.b.c.edu will then attempt to connect to
oddjob with SMTP and pass the mail message.  In general, it will not
try any other method to deliver the mail.

Mail routing AMONG uucp-only hosts in the us domain is a different
question, and one which must be settled by the uucp managers
themselves.  It will probably be decided in different ways in
different places, but it will not be simply "up the ladder/down the
ladder" because sites like "il.us" do not exist.
Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu