[news.sysadmin] sendme - control messages

logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) (07/23/88)

Why does our site (ns) keep sending -sendme- control messages to our
neighbor site(umn-cs).  Some of the entries in the sendme message
we do have, and some we don't have.  I don't think we get ihave
messages from umn-cs, or at least they don't show up in the control
newsgroup.  I do see ihave's from umn-cs to another site, however.

We are a leaf node (as of now) so we dont need that ihave/sendme stuff.

What gives, what's the fix, and what's it costing us?

- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
- {...rutgers!dayton, ...amdahl!ems, ...uunet!rosevax} !umn-cs!ns!logajan    -

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/25/88)

In article <536@ns.UUCP> logajan@ns.UUCP (John Logajan x3118) writes:
>Why does our site (ns) keep sending -sendme- control messages to our
>neighbor site(umn-cs).  Some of the entries in the sendme message
>we do have, and some we don't have.  I don't think we get ihave
>messages from umn-cs, or at least they don't show up in the control
>newsgroup.  I do see ihave's from umn-cs to another site, however.

sendme messages are generated by inews in response to an ihave message.
The code which process ihave's generates the sendme directly from the
ihave message itself.  After the header is processed, the message
body is read.  Each line is checked to see if the article is presently
on the system and if it is, the line is dropped, otherwise that message
id is copied from the ihave message to the sendme message.  So, in
short, if you are seeing sendme messages from ns to umn-cs it is because
there are ihave's coming from umn-cs.

The format of the messages may be what is confusing.  If two systems
are running ihave/sendme, the ihave message from machine abc has the
the line

Control: ihave abc

which machine xyz then replies to with

Control: sendme xyz

Also, if you have specified ihave/sendme in your sys file with the I
flag, you will be sending ihave messages to your neighbor.

- John.
--
 jfh@rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (07/27/88)

IN article <202@pigs.UUCP>, haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) wrote:
> So, in
> short, if you are seeing sendme messages from ns to umn-cs it is because
> there are ihave's coming from umn-cs.

Or, possibly, a defective sys file on ns.  I've seen sites that send the
to.all newsgroups to everybody, and this will also cause spurious sendme
messages to show up.  to.site should *only* be sent to "site"...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746