[news.sysadmin] uux sending mail on success

mrw@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Marilyn Wulfekuhler) (07/18/88)

When feeding another site 'spike', upon successful delivery of each batch of
news, I get a mail message from spike!uucp telling me that uux completed
normally.  We are a pyramid 90x running OSx 4.0 (BSD universe) and news 2.11,
patchlevel 14.  We also feed another site, 'bourbon', and both are set up in
the same way, yet we don't get mail from bourbon!uucp after each successful
batch is delivered.  The entries in the sys file are as follows [carriage return
added here to make the line fit in 80 columns]:

bourbon:world,comp,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,alt,misc,net,mod,na,usa,la,no,tulane,
to.bourbon:F:/usr/spool/batch/bourbon
spike:world,comp,sci,news,rec,soc,talk,alt,misc,net,mod,na,usa,la,no,to.spike:
F:/usr/spool/batch/spike

Then cron runs /usr/lib/news/sendbatch, a script which calls uux
___with the -z option___ (tells to send mail only on failure).  And yes, our
uux does support -z.

Is this perhaps a BSD / SYS V incompatibility? (bourbon is BSD and spike is
SYS V)  Or is there something more obvious that I have missed?  Any help
appreciated.

It is a little disconcerting to come in Monday morning and find 280 messages
in your mailbox, only to realize they're from uucp. :-)

Thanks.
--
Marilyn Wulfekuhler           | USENET:      pyramid!rex!mrw
Computer Science Dept         | INTERNET:    mrw@rex.cs.tulane.edu

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (07/20/88)

In article <172@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mrw@rex.UUCP (Marilyn Wulfekuhler) writes:
# When feeding another site 'spike', upon successful delivery of each batch of
# news, I get a mail message from spike!uucp telling me that uux completed
# normally.  We are a pyramid 90x running OSx 4.0 (BSD universe) and news 2.11,
# patchlevel 14.

All UUCPs were not created equal.  It doesn't matter much what UUCP you are
running; your neighbors' uuxqt daemon will either respect your wishes about
mailing of thank-you notes or it will not.

Rick Adams' BSD UUCP and Honeyman's HDB UUCP will respect their neighbors'
-n (don't send any mail no matter what) and -z (send mail only if the remote
command execution returns an error exit status).  Sys-III UUCP will not
respect either request.  Sys-Vr2 (pre-HDB) respects -n but not -z.

-n and -z are arguments to the uux command you use to queue a batch to your
neighbor; they do into one of the control-card files sent by UUCP to the
remote system, and the remote system will either know about them or not.

Ultrix UUCP, by the way, knows about -n but not about -z.  :-(.

Note: not the opinions of my employer.

--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

kimcm@ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (07/20/88)

mrw@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Marilyn Wulfekuhler) writes:

>Then cron runs /usr/lib/news/sendbatch, a script which calls uux
>___with the -z option___ (tells to send mail only on failure).  And yes, our
>uux does support -z.

>Is this perhaps a BSD / SYS V incompatibility? (bourbon is BSD and spike is
>SYS V)  Or is there something more obvious that I have missed?  Any help
>appreciated.

Yes there seems to be a case of SYSV and BSD incompatibility on how to
interpret the options to uux:

On SYSV systems the -z option means "Send success notification to the
user" whereas on BSD (According to my 4.3BSD manual) -z option means
"Notify the user only if the command fail".

Beware there is other nasty traps hidden in uux when shifting between
BSD and SYSV.  Some options are purely SYSV like -b, -sFILE and some
are BSD Only: -l and -L.  Beware if you're using the -n option on BSD
it means "Do not notify the user when the command completes" and on
SYSV "Do not notify the user if the command fails"

Best Regards,

Kim Chr. Madsen, AmbraSoft A/S, Rojelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
UUCP: kimcm@ambush.dk, PHONE: +45 2807 522, FAX: +45 2423 090

		   You shouldn't say it's no good.
		  You should say you do not like it;
	      and then, you know, you're perfectly safe.
		 -- James Abbott McNeill Whistler --

In article <172@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mrw@rex.UUCP (Marilyn Wulfekuhler) writes:
>When feeding another site 'spike', upon successful delivery of each batch of
>news, I get a mail message from spike!uucp telling me that uux completed
>normally... uux ___with the -z option___

Two things to watch for.  First, some old uuxqt's do not support -z; you
will have to find out from your neighbor whether this is the case with his.
Second, beware that the semantics of the -z option are not the same in all
uux's:  in HDB, the old -z behavior is the *default*, and an explicit -z
requests notification if the command *succeeds*.  (Note that this is a
user-interface difference in uux, not a difference in what is sent:  HDB
without -z sends what a non-HDB uux would send with -z.)
--
Anyone who buys Wisconsin cheese is|  Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
a traitor to mankind.  --Pournelle |uunet!mnetor!utzoo! henry @zoo.toronto.edu

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (07/23/88)

In article <172@rex.cs.tulane.edu> mrw@rex.UUCP (Marilyn Wulfekuhler) writes:
        [When feeding a BSD site news, uux with the -z option functions
as expected (no mail received on uux's successful execution), but feeding
a Sys V site, with virtually the same sys file entry, causes uux to send
mail upon successful execution.]

>Then cron runs /usr/lib/news/sendbatch, a script which calls uux
>___with the -z option___ (tells to send mail only on failure).  And yes, our
>uux does support -z.
>
>Is this perhaps a BSD / SYS V incompatibility? (bourbon is BSD and spike is
>SYS V)  Or is there something more obvious that I have missed?  Any help
>appreciated.
>
>It is a little disconcerting to come in Monday morning and find 280 messages
>in your mailbox, only to realize they're from uucp. :-)

Your suspicions are correct.  The uux man page from the October 1984 issue of
the Basic Networking Utilities Software Information Bulletin for System V
Release 2.0 has the following to say about the -z option to uux:

                -z Send success notification to the user.

This is contrary to what one would expect from reading the news 211
installation documentation.

Perhaps you can modify the sendbatch script to not use the -z option when
spooling news batches for the Sys V site?

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (08/04/88)

My uux behaves different from all those I have seen discussed here.
It is supposed to be SysV (Microport System V/AT).  The manual
says that -n sends no notification to user.  There is no mention
of -z (it deosn't seem to do anything).

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.uucp)	| "Don't call me Stupid!"
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| "No.  That would be an insult