[news.sysadmin] Questions on UUCP Domains

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (08/08/88)

Recently I've seen the increase of USENET sites being placed within domains.
I've been considering getting of the psuedo-domain .UUCP and get a .US domain
like a few sites have already. (eg. killer.DALLAS.TX.US, chinet.chi.il.us,
manta.pha.pa.us).

I have a few questions about this, since I am new to the "concept" of
domains.  Firstly, does one have to have a net-neighbor who is an Internet
site?   What is a NIC-handle?   Are domains case-sensitive, or is .Dallas.TX.US
the same as .DALLAS.TX.US and .dallas.tx.us, etc...

For the .US domain is the accepted syntax:

	.full-city-name.state.US	- or can one have other things like
	.city-name-abbrev.state.US
	.local-organization.state.US (like Chinet does).

I've seen all three already, is there a particular standard I should
keep to.   I've been considering the name:

	icus.Islip.NY.US -or- icus.islip.ny.us -or- icus.isl.ny.us -or- etc..

How does being in a domain improve the network (mail response, path generation,
etc..).   Right now, when I do a pathalias database, since my local neighbor
talcott (see d.Top from the UUCP Project) is in the .us domain, all current
.us domains expand to:

	talcott!host.blah.blah.us!user

Is this correct to do this?  Or should the individual sites have in their
map files:

icus	.Islip.NY.US

Then again, the case-sensitivity comes to mind.  Do I have to put all
combinations in the map file?

Lastly, if I declare my map entry with the above entry, can my net-neighbors
use the syntax: (For example)

	gil@limbic.Islip.NY.US

Which would ultimately expand to:   icus!limbic!gil.

Any suggestions, answers, corrections should be E-mailed to me, I will
summarize in two weeks what I've learned.

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (08/08/88)

In article <461@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
|I have a few questions about this, since I am new to the "concept" of
|domains.  Firstly, does one have to have a net-neighbor who is an Internet
|site?   What is a NIC-handle?   Are domains case-sensitive, or is .Dallas.TX.US
|the same as .DALLAS.TX.US and .dallas.tx.us, etc...
|
|For the .US domain is the accepted syntax:
|
|	.full-city-name.state.US	- or can one have other things like
|	.city-name-abbrev.state.US
|	.local-organization.state.US (like Chinet does).
Isn't .chi.il.us "Chicago"?

|I've seen all three already, is there a particular standard I should
|keep to.   I've been considering the name:
|
|	icus.Islip.NY.US -or- icus.islip.ny.us -or- icus.isl.ny.us -or- etc..
I *thought* is wwas supposed to only be .full-city-name.state.US ... am I
wrong??

Totally off the subject:  How does one register oneself as an MX host for
a site?  I would like to register psuhcx.psu.edu as the MX for
hogbbs.fidonet.org.  Also, can you register a machine as the MX for a domain?
I.E. psuhcx should be the MX for .n263.z1.fidonet.org as well.  Replies to
me unless you think everyone else wants to know too.

Thanks
   Bill
(is the signature going to appear this time?)

P.S. I had to remove pubnet.sysops to be able to post this... you might want
to add it back if you are following up.

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/08/88)

These questions have been flung around quite a bit recently, so I'm
posting this instead of mailing a reply.

>Firstly, does one have to have a net-neighbor who is an Internet site?

It certainly helps. At the very least you have to find an Internet site
willing to insure that mail addressed to your site will make it to your
site. They usually prefer it if you are a direct UUCP neighbor.

>What is a NIC-handle?

A unique identifier given to each person, host, network, domain, TAC or
PSN registered with the DDN NIC (Network Information Center). Mine is
BDW1. Not strictly necessary to get into the US domain, but it helps.

>Are domains case-sensitive, or is .Dallas.TX.US the same as .DALLAS.TX.US
>and .dallas.tx.us, etc...

Domains are case-insensitive. All of the above examples are considered
identical.

>For the .US domain is the accepted syntax:
>
>	.full-city-name.state.US	- or can one have other things like
>	.city-name-abbrev.state.US
>	.local-organization.state.US (like Chinet does).

Full city name or some commonly used abbreviation for that city. Chinet
does not use a "local-organization"; .chi stands for Chicago. Chinet is
also not yet officially a part of the US domain.

>How does being in a domain improve the network (mail response, path generation,
>etc..).

It makes it much easier for users of other networks to get mail to you.
Properly behaved, recent mailers on several networks will work out a
reasonable way to get mail to you, while they'd probably drop mail to
"icus.UUCP" in the floor.

>Right now, when I do a pathalias database, since my local neighbor
>talcott (see d.Top from the UUCP Project) is in the .us domain, all current
>.us domains expand to:
>
>	talcott!host.blah.blah.us!user

Talcott is not in the US domain. Talcott is in the EDU domain. Talcott
is a gateway into the US domain.

>Is this correct to do this?  Or should the individual sites have in their
>map files:
>
>icus	.Islip.NY.US

Definitely not. This notation indicates that icus is a gateway to all
machines in .Islip.NY.US. The notation you would want to use, to say
"icus is also known as icus.islip.ny.us" is:

icus = icus.islip.ny.us

>Then again, the case-sensitivity comes to mind.  Do I have to put all
>combinations in the map file?

Use lower case in map entries.

>Lastly, if I declare my map entry with the above entry, can my net-neighbors
>use the syntax: (For example)
>
>	gil@limbic.Islip.NY.US
>
>Which would ultimately expand to:   icus!limbic!gil.

No. The US domain authorities want each site in the domain to register
seperately.

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (08/09/88)

In article <461@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>like a few sites have already. (eg. killer.DALLAS.TX.US, chinet.chi.il.us,
                                                                 ^^^

]
]	.full-city-name.state.US	- or can one have other things like
]	.local-organization.state.US (like Chinet does).
]
	Nope.  chinet is just like all the rest, with .chi.il.us

--

Randy Suess                 * But don't underestimate raw, frothing,  *
randy@chinet.chi.il.us      * manic hardware.           -barry shein  *

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/09/88)

>Totally off the subject:  How does one register oneself as an MX host for
>a site?  I would like to register psuhcx.psu.edu as the MX for
>hogbbs.fidonet.org.  Also, can you register a machine as the MX for a domain?
>I.E. psuhcx should be the MX for .n263.z1.fidonet.org as well.

There must be a change made to the database of the nameserver which
handles the fidonet.org domain. You need entries something like this:

hogbbs.fidonet.org	IN	MX	10 psuhcx.psu.edu

*.n263.z1.fidonet.org	IN	MX	10 psuhcx.psu.edu

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (08/09/88)

In article <461@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
... some of my article eatten up ...

> For the .US domain is the accepted syntax:
>
> 	.full-city-name.state.US	- or can one have other things like
> 	.city-name-abbrev.state.US
> 	.local-organization.state.US (like Chinet does).

I don't know where my head was at that time... I didn't even associate
chinet with Chigago, Il.  Hence, the local-organization isn't "chi" it really
is a city name abbrev, namely CHIgago.  Sorry, I goofed.

-Lenny

--

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (08/10/88)

In article <462@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>is a city name abbrev, namely CHIgago.  Sorry, I goofed.
                                  ^

Lenny, it's just not your day.  That second g is, of course, really
a c, though I think I've called it Chigago when I had a cold.  No
risk of that today--heat stroke maybe.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{emoryu1,pacbell,decvax!formtek}!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/10/88)

As quoted from <5135@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> by wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner):
+---------------
| >For the .US domain is the accepted syntax:
| >
| >	.full-city-name.state.US	- or can one have other things like
| >	.city-name-abbrev.state.US
| >	.local-organization.state.US (like Chinet does).
|
| Full city name or some commonly used abbreviation for that city. Chinet
| does not use a "local-organization"; .chi stands for Chicago. Chinet is
| also not yet officially a part of the US domain.

Is the .US domain cheaper than other domains?  Ncoast is unlikely to become
a registered site because we can barely afford to operate as is, much less
shell out $150/year to become ncoast.com....
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc