[news.sysadmin] postings not making it off the system

rmb384@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert M. Bownes III) (10/06/88)

	gentelbeings,
			on beowulf, postings from local users are being posted
just fine. Incoming news from outside sources is being posted just fine.
postings from local users are however, not propogating out onto the net at
large. I've recompiled news with no success. Before I rip it out and try again,
have ya'll got any suggestions??? (BTW, it used to work....) /usr/lib/news/sys
looks like:

beowulf:to.beowulf,beowulf,capdist,ny,world,comp,news,misc,rec,na,usa,to:
beowulf/leah/steinmetz/brspyr1:world,!talk,!sci,!soc,rec,soc.singles,comp,misc,news,usa,na,ny,general,capdist,to.leah,to.brspyr1,to.steinmetz:
beowulf/brspyr1:world,!talk,!sci,!soc,rec,soc.singles,comp,misc,news,usa,na,ny,general,capdist,to.steinmetz:
brspyr1:world,!talk,!sci,!soc,rec,soc.singles,comp,misc,news,usa,na,ny,general,capdist,to.leah,to.brspyr1,to.steinmetz:
steinmetz:world,!talk,!sci,!soc,rec,soc.singles,comp,misc,news,usa,na,ny,general,capdist,to.leah,to.brspyr1,to.steinmetz:
leah:capdist,ny,world,na,usa,!soc,!sci,!talk,rec,misc,rec.audio,to.leah:

	Thanks for your help....

	bob
--
Bob Bownes, Aka Keptin Comrade Dr Bobwrench III	|  If I didn't say it, It
bownesrm@beowulf.uucp  (518)-482-8798		|  must be true.

jane@tolerant.UUCP (Jane Medefesser) (10/06/88)

In article <1080@leah.Albany.Edu> (Robert M. Bownes III) writes:

>	gentelbeings,
>			on beowulf, postings from local users are being posted
>just fine. Incoming news from outside sources is being posted just fine.
>postings from local users are however, not propogating out onto the net at
>large. I've recompiled news with no success. Before I rip it out and try again,
>have ya'll got any suggestions??? (BTW, it used to work....)

(you didn't say whether your system was passing on articles NOT generated
at your site, so I'm assuming that's broken too...)

I had the same problem once - turned out that my batching script had
somehow broken (gawd only knows HOW....). Since the script was being run
out of crontab, any diagnostic messages were lost. You should have seen the
blocksize on the /usr/spool/newsbatch/nodename files! Anyway, I fixed the
batch script and we all lived happily ever after...

Jane Medefesser		uucp: {pyramid,oliveb,ucbvax}!tolerant!jane
Usenet Administrator
Tolerant Systems
San Jose, Ca  95134

bob@nih-csl.UUCP (Bob Dew) (10/08/88)

> >			on beowulf, postings from local users are being posted
> >just fine. Incoming news from outside sources is being posted just fine.
> >postings from local users are however, not propogating out onto the net at

Sounds like you are missing the appropriate entry
in your sys file (probably located in /usr/lib/uucp/sys).

You must enable sendnews capability to the system that
provides your newsfeed in order to post news to the net.
For instance, if you get your newsfeed from uunet, you would
need something like the following in your sys file:

uunet:bionet,gnu,world,comp,news,sci,misc,!talk,!rec,!soc,net,mod,na,usa,dc,to.uunet

Without this, postnews will only post locally.