[news.sysadmin] Implementing "uumailclean".

jrp@mirror.TMC.COM (John R. Petersen) (10/05/88)

For those of you running Berkeley out there, I just wanted to put in
a good word for the "uumailclean" program that was posted recently to
comp.sources.unix.  "uumailclean" is a program designed to be run
before uuclean that returns undelivered mail to the sender.  It only
took 10 minutes out of my busy day to implement the program (including
my adding an "X-System-Contact:" field to the returned message.  One note
of warning though: uumailclean requirs the getopt package that was posted
to comp.sources.unix.  (Original in volume 1, or AT&T PD version in volume
3)  I feel that the implemtation of this program will help to eliminate
that "bit bucket" feeling that some users get when sending mail.  At least
they will know that the message died because it was never picked up!!

							--John

----
John R. Petersen --  jrp@mirror.TMC.COM		[Systems Programmer]
        UUCP   :  {mit-eddie, pyramid, wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!jrp
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA, 02140
Telephone:	617-661-0777 extension 122
Administrator for ZONE1.COM - Info Requests: zone1-info@mirror.TMC.COM

"One damn minute, Admiral." -- Spock : ST IV The Voyage Home
---

kent@happym.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (10/08/88)

In article <18525@mirror.TMC.COM> jrp@prism.TMC.COM (John R. Petersen) writes:
>For those of you running Berkeley out there, I just wanted to put in
>a good word for the "uumailclean" program that was posted recently to
>comp.sources.unix.

The same holds for SysV.  Like pathalias and smail, it compiles without
a hitch and runs like a charm.  With those three programs in place
alongside the standard uucp package, my mail system behaves wonderfully.

--
  kent@happym.UUCP, tikal!camco!happym!kent, Happy Man Corp. USA 206-282-9598

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/10/88)

Actually, many of you will probably notice that it
dereferences a null pointed in one place. Other than that it seems
quite stable.

--rick

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/10/88)

In article <44420@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:

Something about a minor programming error.

>--rick

Actually, my unfortunate problem is that Sun has HALF of subdirs.

i.e.:

$SPOOL/C.	for commands
$SPOOL/D.	for outbound data
$SPOOL/D.eda	for outbound D.siteX* files
$SPOOL/.XQTDIR	for ???

Inbound TM. files and X. files are placed right in $SPOOL.
Also LCK.. and LTMP files are placed in $SPOOL.

I guess I'll have to keep my eye on it for a while, if I want to
use uumailclean.

--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) (10/15/88)

In article <44420@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
-Actually, many of you will probably notice that it
-dereferences a null pointed in one place.

Where?

--
Stu Heiss {spl1,uchicago.edu!gargoyle,ddsw1}!jpusa1!stu