[news.sysadmin] rec.arts.tv.bbc -- just say NO

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (10/26/88)

The most immediate reactions to the sudden creation of rec.arts.tv.bbc
were:

1) for many site admins to suddenly recompile news with the NONEWGROUPS
option set (I've personally heard from 5 such individuals, including
admins at decwrl, rutgers & hao).

2) Many sites locally deleting rec.arts.tv.bbc

3) Some of us issuing net-wide rmgroups for it.  After all, if the
person who created the group thinks that there's true anarchy and he
can create groups with no discussion or thought for others, we should
be able to the do the same (in this case) with rmgroups.

Once there is some discussion on the group and some kind of indicator
of consensus as to its need (as in a poll/vote or excessive
volume of postings in inappropriate groups), then I think many of
us will honor a newgroup request.  Until then, don't bet the farm on
it staying around.

The same goes for comp.os.mach and any other pet topics, at least as
far as I'm concerned; I suspect others share that view.  If you
believe the net needs guidance, there's some.  If you believe the net
is a complete anarchy then don't complain if people don't honor your
"newgroup" or even issue countering "rmgroups."
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

russ@uokmax.UUCP (Russ "Random" Smith) (10/27/88)

[In <5238@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, spaf@cs.purdue.edu said:]
->
->The most immediate reactions to the sudden creation of rec.arts.tv.bbc
->were:
->
->2) Many sites locally deleting rec.arts.tv.bbc
->
Bye bye, r.a.t.b.!
->...
->
->Once there is some discussion on the group and some kind of indicator
->of consensus as to its need (as in a poll/vote or excessive
->volume of postings in inappropriate groups), then I think many of
->us will honor a newgroup request.  Until then, don't bet the farm on
->it staying around.
->
->                                            ...If you believe the net
->is a complete anarchy then don't complain if people don't honor your
->"newgroup" or even issue countering "rmgroups."

No lie.  ratb is toast on uokmax, at the very least.  Next time, let's
discuss it a little first, okay, guys?

->--
->Gene Spafford
->NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
->Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
->Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu	uucp:	...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf

                                  I can't understand why a person will
                                  take a year or two to write a novel
                                  when he can easily buy one for a few
                                  dollars.  -- Fred Allen
--
Russ 'Random' Smith
!texsun!uokmax!russ __________________________________ .  .        .-----------

nyssa@terminus.UUCP (The Prime Minister) (10/28/88)

I must apologize for the trauma caused by this newgroup; as I feel
partially responsible.  The administrator for raphel and I were
discussing some of the groups we'd like to see, and one we hit
on was a group for British television.  I asked if he knew the
procedure to create a new group, he said he did, so I said go for it.

Needless to say, I was quite surprised to see the newgroup!  I was
expecting a start for a discussion.  I have since clarified that
with those responsible.

In article <5238@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>1) for many site admins to suddenly recompile news with the NONEWGROUPS
>option set (I've personally heard from 5 such individuals, including
>admins at decwrl, rutgers & hao).

Actually, I am surprised that they weren't compiled that way anyway,
terminus is certainly compiled so that I have to manually create
each group.  I've always viewed it as part of administering.

>Once there is some discussion on the group and some kind of indicator
>of consensus as to its need (as in a poll/vote or excessive
>volume of postings in inappropriate groups), then I think many of
>us will honor a newgroup request.  Until then, don't bet the farm on
>it staying around.

This will be addressed in another posting to more appropriate groups.