[news.sysadmin] Ostracism Code For News, Mail Wanted

scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (11/06/88)

A recent poster (no names) has finally gone too far.  As Systems Manager
here I could write a complaint to the sysadm of the computer from which
the posting was made, but history leads me to believe that the account
could not be removed nor network access restricted.  Complaining is good
for the soul but ineffective.

USENET is an anarchy.  The only tool I can see to deal with the unruly
is exclusion.  Therefore:

I am looking for ostracism code.  This should be a set of patches to
news 2.11.14 which would silently bitbucket all postings from <user@site>,
and a set of patches to smail/sendmail/ucbmail/lmail which would
refuse sending of mail to <user@site> with an explanatory message,
and silently bitbucket all mail to *or through* us from <user@site>.

An ostracism.  If nobody's got the code, I'll do it myself.  It ain't
gonna be very hard.   Yes, I'll post.
--
Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.

scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (11/07/88)

In article <360@itivax.UUCP> scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (me) writes:
>I am looking for ostracism code.  This should be a set of patches to
>news 2.11.14 which would silently bitbucket all postings from <user@site>,
>and a set of patches to smail/sendmail/ucbmail/lmail which would
>refuse sending of mail to <user@site> with an explanatory message,
>and silently bitbucket all mail to *or through* us from <user@site>.

Several folks have sent some well-reasoned comments boiling down to
"do what you like with your own site, but don't disrupt mail/news".
Good points, all.  OK, mail thru and news thru will remain unaffected.
It's just gonna be the equivalent of a global kill file.