[news.sysadmin] Getting Stupid

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (11/09/88)

In article <17680@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, davis@maui (Bill Davis) writes:
>	What happens to Robert Morris will send a message to all. The
>message will either be:

>			It is O.K.
>			  -or-
>		      It is not O.K.

So what?  The only message that matters is the one that the sysadmins send:

             ARPANET is administered by wishful thinkers.
                                -or-
             ARPANET is administered by concerned folks.

>        IF YOU FEEL THAT WHAT MR. MORRIS DID WAS O.K., THEN POST THE
>NAMES OF YOUR MACHINES TO THE NET AND ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO BREAK INTO
>YOUR SYSTEMS!

Here's one: garnet.berkeley.edu.

Now that worm breeders out there have been informed of my permission,
I hope the sysadmins here at Berkeley look at security holes with the
same anus-clenching-thrill that the original worm gave them.

>	I don't think it was O.K., I think he should be punished, and I
>think that his being punished will discourage others from this type of
>activity in the future.

You *think* this?  Does this mean you're going to go back and put your
head in the sand until the next nasty comes along, and then complain
and whine about what a terrible terrible thing miscreants are on com-
puter networks?  Do you also believe that if you wish real hard, your
wish comes true?  Do you try real hard to blow out all your candles on
your birthday cake?  Do you step over cracks on sidewalks?  WAKE UP!

>			 And another thing! (for those that would like to
>hire Mr. Morris) He could have been working at YOUR company when this
>happened!

>LAW SUITS >> LAW SUITS >> LAW SUITS >> BANKRUPTCY FOR YOUR COMPANY!

Fat lot of good this does when all your critical computer records that
are the life blood of your own company are turned into mashed potatoes.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720