[news.sysadmin] "Worm" follows a fictional book plot

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (11/09/88)

In reading about the spread of this computer "worm" program I was struck
by the remarkable parallel between what happened and a fictional story I
have read.  The book is "The Adolescence of P-1" by Thomas J. Ryan.  In
the book a colledge student sets out to crack the computer system and
winds up creating a worm which he submits into a small network of
systems.

The worm contains a mechanism to monitor its progress in invading
systems, a feature reported in the real version.  The student is pleased
when his creation reports taking over another system,  delighted when it
reports success on all the intended systems, and then confused when it
reports still more systems.  Finally he panics when the monitor reports
the invasion of hundreds of systems.

Interesting reading.
					Jerry Aguirre

nate@mipos2.intel.com (Nate Hess) (11/10/88)

In article <32240@oliveb.olivetti.com>, jerry@olivey (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>[...]  The book is "The Adolescence of P-1" by Thomas J. Ryan.  In
>the book a colledge student sets out to crack the computer system and
>winds up creating a worm which he submits into a small network of systems.

Yes, indeed, a fun, thought-provoking book.

Of course, in _tAoP1_, the program the student creates really *is* a
virus...

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@sc.intel.com    ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb|amd}!intelca!mipos3!nate